1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man jailed for buying ricin on dark web.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Yadda, 18 Sep 2015.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

A "software programmer" from Liverpool has been sentenced to 8 years in prison for buying what he thought was ricin from the dark web.

The Feds got in there first though and posing as a supplier, they sent him some harmless powder instead.

Thank goodness they did!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34288380

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Now where's that cartoon with a gathering of ne'er-do-wells all asking "Is anyone here NOT a Fed?"

Seriously, I'd be intensely surprised if there are any ACUAL adverts for commercial weapons/murder-for-hire/etc on Tor/I2C that aren't Police honeypots or scammers preying on people who will never report them ("I ordered 10kg of Anthrax off of the interwebs and just got flour!").

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Very true, although posing as an anthrax supplier probably isn't the best way to scam folk as I'd imagine you're very likely to get nicked PDQ.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not meaning to sound dumb but I'm guessing ricin is illegal, would seem dumb if it's not.

5. techhead

techhead Minimodder

It could only happen in Liverpool..... One of his excuses was that he had a large rat infestation in this property I wanted to see if ricin would do the job of killing them ( and everybody else)

As I have lived in this city all my life nothing really surprises me anymore LOL

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, the defendant claimed that he didn't know it was. Sure, because ricin is one of those household items you just need to have in your kitchen sink cupboard.

*****. Just nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

He wasn't jailed for buying ricin, he was jailed for buying a toy car and an inert phosphorescent powder. The FBI should be done under the trade descriptions act.

9. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Is ricin not shown to be extremely dangerous in Breaking Bad (sorry, not seen the show yet.)?
    I mean, disregarding the fact buying something off the 'dark web' just kinda tells you that it isn't right to be buying it in the first place.
    Surely he isn't thick enough to think it is a good idea to have something so poisonous around without knowing how to handle it?

Edit: Read rest of article - mild aspergers, still no excuse.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Okay, I've got to ask, given the ethnicity. Blast me for racial profiling all you like.

Are there any ISIS connections here?

I'll admit, you made me grin!