1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming Waterforce Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 3 Feb 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Given that the latest Tomb Raider and Tom Clancy The Division are pushing even the highest end Maxwell cards to their limits at 1440p, (Ti benchmarks show drops to less than 40fps at the highest settings) I can't help but think that a £600 investment in one at this stage in their life cycle is somewhat throwing money down the drain.

Less than 6mths away from the new gen Pascal, its not that long to wait and given that the top end Ti cards from Nvidia have been matched by the mid-high end card (970 equivalent) for the last two generations, its not unreasonable to expect you'll be able to buy this sort of performance for less than £400 in a short while as well as cooler running and using less power.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

YAY! Another watercooled product with tubing that looks like it's from a cheap, plastic kid's cup.

4. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Pascal can't be that far away, I'd rather save my money and buy 'the next big thing', there's more than a good chance for 'close to' same performance for the price of a 970 at launch (£350ish).

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

One of the things that made the 970 so good was its sub-£300 launch price :D

6. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

My first thought as well... :-/

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

£600. Hahahahahahahahaha.

8. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

This is the same argument that everyone always has when it comes to upgrades no matter if it's ram, CPU's, SSD's/HDD's or a new Video card. If it's not a big enough jump in performance for you save your money and wait until it is! Unless you just have the money to throw away then have at it. I'll take any left overs.

9. Dan848

Dan848 What's a Dremel?

I agree with the view, if you can afford it and want it, get it. I know Nvidia has been working on a new video card, however, this is what I did three or four months ago:

I purchased an MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE for $669.99 [U.S.], about 460 Pounds at the time. The card is highly overclockable - if I want it - and has great cooling. Coupled with MSI Afterburner to regulate fan speed to keep temperatures even lower, the card is great for having an air cooler.

The card came with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege or Assassin's Creed Syndicate

And, Call of Duty Black Ops III for PC.

That is $120 of games if required to purchase them seperately. Video Card Cost = $669.99 [ ~ 460 Pounds], and if a person wanted the games seperately that would be ~ $670 minus $120 for the games = $550 or ~ 380 Pounds [for the video card].

I use a Samsung 40 inch screen that is 1080p on my desktop and that video card will do just fine with games for many years to come.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that at present 1080p is the resolution used by most owners of PCs, which most of you know.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2016
  10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes you'd potentially save 200 quid but you'd miss 6 months of gaming if you have nothing else. A new Titan should launch first but that's $1000+ whereas Nvidia usually replace the Ti at the end of the stack, so it's unlikely to arrive until late this/next year.
    A Ti, like a Fury, is not a slow card.

Tags: Add Tags