1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Firefox 48 beta splits UI and content processes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 8 Jun 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well at least Mozilla are getting quicker, 'electrolysis' is only a few years late...

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Would be nice to see this become standard. Sucks when a badly coded site can crash your whole browser. Given the multi-core nature of most computers these days, it seems like each tab could be it's own process and therefore more resilient.

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Problem with that is then you have a lot of tabs open (100+, dont judge me). With that many extra processes, overhead adds up and you end up wasting a lot of resources (looking at you, chrome). Imo, middle ground would be preferable - each window spawns as new process, but tabs of that window are processed in single thread.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Exactly! Chrome behaves great for under 50-70 tabs, passing that threshold it becomes a nightmare. If Firefox follows that path I just hope it can be disabled.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I hope this'll make it run decently smooth. I switched to chrome a year ago because Firefox ran like absolute ass, but I'm still pulling my hair out at all the functionality that's not there. The only positive I found with chrome is being able to run multiple sessions, maybe separating the processes will allow firefox to implement that too.

8. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

So, did Mozilla figure out they were infiltrated yet? (It's been years now). Or is it still all updates that remove settings you might use to protect yourself and adding privacy-killing stuff?
    I'm just going to go ahead and assume it's more of that stuff in this update.

9. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

What in earth is the point of 100+ tabs? You completely lose any semblance of oversight beyond a certain number, so what's the point?
    And how many users do you think would open more than 100 (on purpose that is)? Maybe 100 people worldwide?
    But hey if it is a problem then they should code a hard limit and force a max of 100 tabs, or go through the actual effort to support the 0.00000001 percent by finding a way to make it work. It's bad practise to have code that can fail due to 'flooding', that is programming 101.

It's odd incidentally how often you still see people programming on big software projects that don't seem to get the basics, things like prevent running out of memory or overflows, and doing sanity checks on input, and properly doing interrupts to detect if a freaking cancel button is clicked and all such basic stuff. And then the companies all say 'we spend a billion man-hours and 100 billion dollars developing this version'. Yeah on business lunches and PR budgets I guess eh.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2016
  10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I regularly have more than 100 tabs open, no problem keeping track of the tabs. Helps a lot to have the tabs open at the far right not as the next tab (browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent;false).

11. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I too keep the tabs in the old far right order, and sometimes have quite a few open, maybe 40 max (but I'm not exactly counting the tabs). And that's why I know how hard it is to keep uhm.. 'tabs' on things when you cross a certain amount. Often I just give up at that point and select 'close all other tabs' to keep things sane.
    Just the amount of time too to handle that many tabs, it's too much IMHO.

Tags: Add Tags