1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Ultra-wide gaming Monitor without backlight bleed does it exist ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alfabet0, 17 Jun 2016.

1. alfabet0

alfabet0 What's a Dremel?

Having gone through two Ultra-wide gaming Monitors LG 34UM95-P and a Acer XR341CK both returned to Amazon with backlight bleed that the manufacturers don't appear to be acknowledging is a widespread problem is there a viable 3440 x 1440 alternative free of this defect?

The Acer XR341CK was as close to perfect as I've seen in a monitor but for a £600+ monitor was just too great a price to pay for something that can't display dark scenes without the dirty chalkboard effect across half of a screen, I've heard that VA panels like the Samsung S34E790C are good but they lack the freesync gaming credentials I'd have hoped for.

I know they must exist free of backlight bleed somewhere outside of the cherry picked engineering samples sent out to Tftcentral and linus tech tips I've just never seen them.
    I'm now left to my backup monitor BenQ XL2411T which is melting my eyeballs with its excessively bright screen even set on the lowest brightness settings which leave everything looking washed out.

Thanks for listening to my whining been looking for a good monitor for 7+ years any suggestions are welcome.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Are you talking about IPS glow? Because that is pretty much a feature of all IPS monitors.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There is an Asus one but you need to press on the edges to completely eradicate it.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think Acer send cherry picked samples for review and real end users end up getting the short end of the stick. I know the feeling of spending big bucks on an ips only to have it bleed light. It's not fun.

For me these things cost too much money to take the risk on. There are too many reports of Acer's not being up to scratch in terms of light bleed and I don't have massive confidence in the other suppliers either.

To answer your question. Yes. But it's seems to be a bit of a lottery.

5. alfabet0

alfabet0 What's a Dremel?

I understand why you'd question me as many do get them mixed up but I've done my homework and made many comparisons via Google image search I'm OK with IPS glow but what I'm talking about seeps in from one edge of the screen not a shimmering/glow effect which is a trade off with beautiful IPS colors.
    Can't speak on Asus by experience but I tried everything I could to correct the backlight bleed on the The Acer XR341CK squeegeed pressed down on the bleed used credit card along the edges as I was desperate to keep it would have voided the warranty and opened her up and applied electrical tape trick if only there where any iFixit guides on opening this monitors :(
    Even after my experiences you've just got to see a 3440 x 1440 Ultra-wide in action just beautiful going back to my 24 inch is just painful I'm on minimum wage but I'd still fork out £1000/$1428.60 for an Ultra-wide OLED if there were any out.

6. theshadow2001

When they work I'm sure they are awesome. But the risk involved given both the price and the fact I already know how much I dislike backlight bleed is just not worth it.

I would probably over pay for a monitor like ths if it was guaranteed not to bleed.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

In my opinion VA panels are very good. I am on my second, an AOC Pro-line Q3277PQU which uses the same AUOptronics panel as the Benq BL3200PT. The high contrast ratio is great for games, viewing angles and VA contrast shift are much improved compared to earlier VA panels, colour is excellent and pixel response is faster than used to be the case.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm

Samsung has some new ultra wide VA panels coming onstream soon: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#panels_update

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The Samsung VA panel 21:9 screens are allegedly excellent, but Samsung is aware of that and prices accordingly...

Can't say I've had any problems with my cheap AOC (non curved) one, but unfortunately with monitors the difference from one to the next can be shockingly large, so your mileage may vary a lot.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2016
  9. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I had the Samsung for a while and did not suffer from backlight bleed, however I swapped over to a acer xr34 as I prefer the image quality of the ips, it has a little bleed but can't say I notice it gaming

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's been a problem since the advent of curved monitors. When I was working with the ROG LCD team they got the very first LG 34 months ahead of launch and went "this is a bag of ****" because it had so much bleed. They then spend 6+ months working with LG to try and fix it before launching the PG34 (not even sure if they stayed with LG in the end tbh), and even then you'll get variation in manufacturing tolerances and batches. Luck of the draw likely.

In case you hadn't already guessed: every monitor review from any manuf. is looking at golden samples. It'll be meticulously checked before being sent out.

11. theshadow2001

No surprises there Bindibadgi. I saw a review of one of these kinds of monitors on Pauls hardware where he mentioned light bleed. I was left thinking if this dude is getting a golden sample and is complaining about light bleed what hope do the rest of us have.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2016
  12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Also finding a good monitor (or really, any) reviewer who knows reaaally what he's talking about is very difficult. I don't really know Paul but I'd only really trust TFT central.

13. theshadow2001

Sure, I mean Pauls hardware and those kind of youtubers are not where you go for high fidelity technical details. But all it takes to spot light bleed is a dark scene and low ambient light. No special knowledge or equipment required.

14. theshadow2001

Hey bindi is it possible to elaborate more on the technical aspect of light bleed from your experience. What components within the monitor are involved, what do they do during manufacturing to try and fix it. Why does the solution often seem inconsistent. What dimensional tolerances are involved.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

I've saw 2 Samsung screens and niether has back light issues. Problem as you say is cost. The 34 inch one is a cool £730+.

16. Erchamion

Erchamion What's a Dremel?

Yes.

I've seen the latest one from LG doesn't have backlight bleed. It's LG 34UC88-B (LG 34UC98-W is the one with thunderbolt but it's $150 more expensive just for that.) [B: Black, W: White.]

I just registered for replying this. I hope I'm not late. Even if I am, I hope this will be helpful for others.

17. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

I'm waiting to see what the 38" ultrawides are like.
    The 34" ones iv seen in the past year had backlight problems that would bother me, even the
    curved TV I was going to get had really bad bleed (Samsung), so went I with a flat one.

18. theshadow2001

These look nice but the 55hz - 75hz freesync range seems like it would be a bit too narrow, especially at that resolution. Although I would certainly take it over no variable refresh rate.

19. Deders

Deders Modder

I used to have backlight bleed on the bottom left corner of my Dell 2560x1080 ultrawide, made that corner look brighter than the others when the screen was dark.

I figured I'd live with the bleed as the screen didn't have any damaged pixels (which would have driven me crazy) to save swapping about and annoying the retail outlets.

It went away after a while . I can honestly say I've not noticed it in over a year. I did press the edge of the frame in on about 2 or 3 separate occasions, but that was it. I can't be sure if that had any effect or if it went away naturally. There is no sign it was ever there now.