1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus VR drops hardware-checking DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Jun 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Apparently Eve Valkyrie works on Vive via LibreVR now.

I see a lotta peepees congratulating and praising Palmer/Octopus for reversing DRM and "supporting" other VR hardware...

Actually Oculus doesn't support other hardware. Valve support openvr. Octopus supports Octopus and nothing else.

Last edited: 27 Jun 2016
  3. rollo

rollo Modder

Platform was dead without the change. Sales have been poor with devices too expensive for mainstream and the costs to play very high. Only 2.5million sales expected globally by most big analysists in 2016.

Apple watch sold 11million units.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Around 1 million PC HMDs (plus another 1 million PSVR) were the optimistic estimates made before launch. The entire reason Oculus (and now Valve) are funding development for VR is because the market is too small to sustain development on its own. Even with the DRM in place, from the developers perspective it was "too few sales to pay back the development costs" or "some non-100% fraction of too few sales to pay back the development costs".

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

DRM is always a four letter curse!

6. rollo

rollo Modder

VR I expected to kick on and take off, it's definitely a slow burner and its future is difficult to predict.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And the iPhone sold over 500 million units since its introduction. The Rubik's cube over 300 million. But that is just not related, is it? :p

VR is something I think/hope will blow over, just like it did every single time we were told it will be the next big thing. Like 3D. And cars that drive autonomously. And quantum processors. I will wait, but I just don't see the mass appeal, especially given the enormous price to start playing with it right now.

8. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Just wait until PSVR is released. with 40+ million PS4's out there I am sure sony will sell many PSVR kits which will kick off VR for consoles. Realistically consoles are ideal for VR.

9. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

The hardware is still at a niche/hobbyist stage and devs could not afford to have theRift be an exclusive platform. Devs need as much exposure as they can grab.

10. Stanley Tweedle

VR might be "niche" but it's a massive growth industry with colossal funding. It's no longer just about Oculus versus Vive.

Certainly first gen PC consumer VR is priced beyond the reach of your average gamer though just as first gen 4k monitors were.

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Very true.

Still, currently niche.

No argument with the fact it is a growing market. Certainly not like consoles do though. More likely to less than 20% of the total console numbers. With friends having a go when physically paying a visit to an owners house.

Hence, devs need full coverage rather than exclusive, and smaller market shares.

12. Stanley Tweedle

Agree. Oculus seem to go from one drama to another. I was a big fan until this year.. roundabout the time Vive pre-orders began I suddenly felt annoyed by Oculus in comparison to the more complete Vive experience.

I find it odd that many Vive users are gushing and praising Oculus for "supporting" other hardware. There is no support for anything other than Oculus. LibreVR is a hack although very good given the lack of real support from Oculus.

I actually found the Oculus store titles to be quite boring and even more so since owning a Vive for some months. Paying £39 for the Climb is insane. Only thing I want is Eve and I don't want to pay £45 for it unless I'm sure I'd get value in game-play.

I have no interest in Palmer Luckey's Tail (although I tried it when I had my DK2). Jumping up and collecting coins with my head isn't something that appeals to me. There is quite a lot of fluff and filler content on the store. Over on steam the content for Vive is a lot more exciting (standing/room scale/vr controller). I don't want to see Oculus users locked-out so I'm happy to see games supporting both platforms.

13. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Haha thanks for the warning! My head would be very sore from hitting the ceiling!

I have no doubt Rift will get scale soon'ish. Not soon enough evidentally.

14. Stanley Tweedle

Either you're very tall or you have a very low ceiling. Perhaps both?

15. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

The relationship is that the apple watch is seen as a bit of a failure, and a fringe thing, but even then it does 4 times better than oculus according to that prediction.

But I think most people are waiting for the next gen before splashing out a lot of dough for VR, that and people are saving up to afford t, they need a new graphics card too probably and the new nvidia ones are nice but insanely expensive, and combined with a pricey VR system it all adds up, and even enthusiastic people might need a little time before they take the plunge.
    I've heard people on podcast confirm this when they are pondering and wondering how to justify the expenditure. People who are interested.

16. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I agree that that will at least keep the VR thing going, the non-console ones are nice but niche at the moment. And for that reason the console version better not flunk because then things get dicey.