1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asrock unveils Z170M-PIO2 uDTX motherboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Oct 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I love how Asrock actually like to innovate in the motherboard space, much like with their X99 ITX board.

This looks to me like a seriously interesting option for ITX as it fits with the principles of many existing case, although at the cost of not actually being supported by them. If Asus and Gigabyte hop on this train I can totally see a new trend of thin ITX cases based around the concept. Switching around the orientation is rather cool, means the cards are actually facing the right way too.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Now do the same with the ATX power connector and we're laughing.

EDIT: I re-read that and it sounded a bit negative, so thought I'd add that I also respect ASRock and their way of thinking :)

Last edited: 4 Oct 2016
  4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

+1

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

+2

6. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

This is a nice idea but let's take it further.
    Drop every IO other than a good selection of USB and Ethernet.
    Loose the sata.
    Hide a few m.2s about the place.
    Come up with something better than an a 24pin ATX.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I like the look of this. What is there in the way of compatible low-profile cases out there? As the article says, I'd love to see a super-slim VESA-mountable case so I could hide this behind my monitor, but I'd imagine that you'd need an external PSU to make it work.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I would have liked to see the CPU power socket next to the main ATX socket rather than in the middle of the board. Same with the USB3 socket.

Both of those would make cable layout much easier.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The PIO chassis standard is designed around having the motherboard and other components built into the monitor casing (it stands for Parts In One). There are some on the market, but I'm not aware of any uDTX-compatible ultra-slim desktop chassis compatible with PIO-targeted motherboards yet. At least, I haven't been able to find any.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Kickstarter opportunity for a nice case imo.

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

How is this different from a motherboard with a 90 degree PCIe riser in a 1u rackmount case? I mean, sure the layout of the components is different, but I'm failing to see how this is really so groundbreaking. :confused:

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh yeah, for real. Would love something like this that I could hide behind my screen, free up a ton of desk real estate and still have a full-power SFF PC.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The rub is that while there are plenty of PIO boards from various vendors, none are available for consumers to purchase directly. Instead of kickstarting a case (which for a very small run already compared to even the few ITX Kickstarters like the Ncase M1 and Dan A4, would not be cheap) you would need to Kickstart a 'barebones' machine, which is s tougher prospect for the target market, who likely would want the flexibility to choose their own components, and to upgrade the motherboard at some point.