1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo confirms Switch UK price, launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Jan 2017.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I think I must be getting old.

I can't help but look at the Switch and just scratch my head as I mumble "What the ****?"

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Entirely possible I'm wrong on that one - I've just never seen a picture of the tablet docked with the Joy-Cons still attached (and there isn't one in your link, either). Even the promotional video shows the Joy-Cons being removed prior to docking - but given how much Nintendo seems to have stuffed up the messaging surrounding the device, I'm perfectly willing to believe that's just an oversight on their part.

3. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I believe that's just a result of Nintendo's marketing and pushing this as a console. The Joy-Cons charge when plugged into the Switch and can be left in when placed in the dock. Polygon have got more details here, though it says a lot that clarification is even needed!

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So the toast... tablet thing only has 32GB of storage...

...estimated size of a game... 14GB [~40% of it's total, based on reported install size of the Zelda game]...

So you're either looking at buying a physical card/cartridge,
    Investing in some fast SD cards and hoping you can save games to it and hoping it's actually fast enough to play a game off it.
    Only having 1, possibly 2 at a push [depending on how much of that 32GB is actually usable] games installed at a time.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I would guess that most of the major titles will be mainly intended as physical releases given the lack of storage for installs and the media format not necessitating an install.

Seems the dock can potentially support external drives via USB but doesn't to ensure everything is portable. It would kinda make sense to allow this so you could install games on the dock to avoid having to swap cartridges at home.

That said, 128GB UHS SD cards are under £30 now so it's not quite as big of an issue as it might have been a while ago.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2017
  6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I commend you on your attempt to make it look like your mistake is Nintendo's fault, but it's a bit tenuous to cite a promotional video whose focus is obviously going to be on playing with the system, rather than how it's charged.

But all's good, it's fairly standard industry practice these last few years: if in doubt, have a dig at Nintendo, even if that means making things up, amirite?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wanna take another run at that, Sparky? Feeling a little let down by Ninty? Taking it out on others won't win you fans around here, pal.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

hah me too ! I actually bought a Wii. Never used it, but yeah I bought one off the back of playing on a chum's for a few hours.

This thing though? yeah, deffo scratching at the very thin hair on the back of my nut thinking the same :D

9. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Again, I commend your spirit. Double down and patronize, shows me you care :)

10. Gareth Halfacree

Dude, what is wrong with you? Seriously. How did you get this way?

Do you think I'm anti-Nintendo? Is that it? I currently own <takes deep breath>: Nintendo Wii (limited edition black Donkey Kong version, bought after my launch-day white one died), two Nintendo Gamecubes, Nintendo 64 with expansion, Nintendo 3DS (launch-day version with the Founders' Club free Virtual Console games), two Nintendo DS Lites, two Nintendo GameBoy Advances with link cables, a pre-Mattel Famicom Power Glove (bought factory-sealed), a Gameboy Micro, and a Nintendo PlayChoice-10 arcade cabinet with a near-complete game collection.

Do I want Nintendo to fail? No. Do I want the Switch to fail? No.

Has Nintendo's communication surrounding the Switch been poor? Yes. (Hell, there's still confusion surrounding the battery life aspect). Was I the only person to believe you had to take the Joy-Cons off the Switch before popping it in the toaster? No.

Now for the important bit: was I wrong in thinking you had to take the Joy-Cons off the Switch before popping it in the toaster? Yes, absolutely wrong. Like I said, I knew it was entirely possible I was, and Fantus - not you - proved that to be the case (while also confirming that Nintendo's screwed the pooch on the messaging surrounding the Switch.)

Oh, and the "tenuous" promotional video "whose focus is obviously going to be on playing with the system"? Yeah, it showed lots of non-playing stuff - like how the kickstand works, how you can carry the thing around, attaching and detaching the Joy-Cons, using the Joy-Cons with the Grip accessory, linking systems for multiplayer. D'you know what it didn't show in amongst all that, to my memory? Docking the Switch with the Joy-Cons attached. It did, however, very explicitly show someone removing the Joy-Cons and then docking the Switch.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2017