1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 23 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

She's a beaut, Clark.

If it lasts as long as an old skool mech board then the price isn't all that bad really. If of course your extra money does buy the quality you would expect.

I have no problems paying high prices for peripherals, just not things that fall apart after a couple of months and have a high price. That tends to be a bit annoying.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

But will the LEDs die on you after a couple months like the previous RGB K95. Seems it's shed a lot of button weight too in comparison.

4. Vault-Tec

Yeah I was taking a very passive jab at that in my post tbh. They definitely need to make sure these things are reliable, or, have a very good warranty in place. I've seen a few of them go down recently.

5. Maki role

I'm just being direct with them from now on rofl, thrown my K95 RGB in the cupboard for the time being. Can't use it easily as a 'boot-keyboard' either thanks to the software dependence, won't always work right off the bat.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

£180! Bugger. Gaming keyboards are getting more and more expensive. I'd happily take a simple TKL with single-colour backlighting for a third of this. Come on Corsair, sort it out.

7. Vault-Tec

Everything is getting more expensive. Redflames asked for PSU recommendations yesterday and I couldn't find one for less than about £70 for something half way decent. That figure has risen by at least £20 lately.

Memory is a joke atm also, and case prices seem to be edging up too.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Any Linux users tempted by this should seek out the "ckb" program on Corsair's user forum, which at least partially replicates the CUE program's capabilities.
    (I think they use incompatible profile files - Corsair's fault)

9. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

In regards to the burning-out LEDs, that was generally fixed with the second revision of the K95 RGB. Which, speaking of, why did they have to get rid of the 18 programmable keys and just leave us with six? I had a first-gen Logitech G15 with 18 programmable keys, and I used every single one of them very regularly. That keyboard died, and I have to buy a K95 because it was the only keyboard on the market with the same 18 programmable keys. But now even Corsair doesn't make a keyboard with that many keys anymore.

I'm getting really worried for the day I have to buy an actual programmable keypad to supplement an ordinary keyboard. Problem with that is that those programmable keypads cost a bloody fortune. They cost more than the K95.

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

11. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

I would love to try one of these tbh, the topre switches are fantastic, although I have only had very limited time with them. I don't think that I could use them instead of my mechs, but I would certainly like to add it to the collection!

I will have to keep my eyes open at events to see if I can find a sample :)

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

13. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

I've considered that Logitech panel, but after ten years dealing with Logitech Gaming Software, I was extremely eager to be rid of it.

14. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

I love the Corsair keyboards but I can't get myself to ever buy one again after my K70 Vengeance's cable died over two years after buying it (the USB passthrough had been playing up already but the shop claimed it was fine). Contacted Corsair and was unable to buy the cable separately which is silly for a premium product that should be lasting years. Ended up buying a cheap $1 HP keyboard and used the cable from that so at least I still have a functional expensive keyboard albeit with a cheap cable and no USB passthrough. I think if it dies completely I'll get a Ducky.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I can't quite distinguish what's different with this iteration of the K95 compared to the previous one, but perhaps that's just me being daft.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Hmmmm, do I keep my Qpad MK85, that has not missed a beat in 3 1/2 years and looks likely to last many more years, or do I spend £180 on a flash new keyboard that would appear to bring with it a rather high risk of reliability problems?

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Did the old one have per key lighting and USB pass-through? Other than that there's the addition of the light bar along the top and the reduction in the number of macro keys on the left, oh and a textured space bar.

18. Maki role

No USB passthrough but it did have per key lighting yeah. I set the macro keys to be different colours so I could better remember which did what, to think that RGB was genuinely useful for once haha.

Tags: Add Tags