1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Monolith - almost passive, compact gaming PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bennibo, 1 Feb 2017.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Good idea to put the blocks in contact with the heat sink. Anchor them to it, so the weight doesn't hang off the motherboard and GPU.

2. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

thanks ;)

i continued on that little stuff inside.
    - tapped a few threats for the LED mounts, so everything stays in place now.
    - worked on the mounts for the SSDs. Theres room for up to 6x 2,5" drives now.
    - put the power button in the buttom. unfortunately i made the hole a little too big.... :wallbash:
    - started on the mount for the front USB ports, which is not done yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I like the concealed power switch. That would really help in my house with little fingers that love to push buttons.

4. Taugeshtu

Taugeshtu What's a Dremel?

Bennibo, this build is very exciting! I have a soft spot for passive builds (in fact, planning one of my own).

Have you seen this case? Just to give you some sort of encouragement: its rads surface area is about 6000 cm^2, give or take couple hundreds, and your rad is around 11000 cm^2.
    Using math magic from here Airtop arrives at about 100 m^3/h of airflow in each channel; yours should be around the same (emphasis on "should"). All of that with nice and warm 30 C outside temperature and 70 C on the radiator (with components sitting at nice toasty 80 C due to heat transfer and all that). And linked above case dissipates 200 Watts!

I think (but don't know for certain) that the stack effect just might get you covered even without fans under load :) So, cheers and have a happy build, it's very inspiring!

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hole too big: It happens. Fortunately, you can fill the gap with grey epoxy and no one will ever see it.
    You can even make the hole a little bigger, fill it, sand it flat, and grind a new hole in the center. The ring around the switch would look deliberate then.

6. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

The top is fantastic !!

The render doesn't make me crazy but looking at the final pics I admit I was wrong :lol:

7. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

yes, definitely and because the case is up on that feet you can still easily puch that button.

thanks! i saw that system when it was first released. I did my calculations and i think i should be alright, but in the end we will see how my system performs and if everything was correct ;)

thanks, thats a good idea!

thank you! :)

i soldered a few things and got the lighting in the buttom done. I tried to hide the cables as good as possible. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ADmodz

ADmodz Go hard or Go home

Fantastic work dude

9. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

thank you! :)

i finished work on those front USB-ports. maybe except for straightening them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This is seriously cool. :thumb:

11. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Are you going to paint it black as well? If so call it "Monolith". They are smooth sided, silent, towers. Or "Obelisk".

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I think the 'monolith' refers to that monster inside.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nice one man. I'm trying to get my head around the actual scale of it atm. It looks positively tiny, but standing on that work bench my brain is telling me it's actually bigger than it looks.

14. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Small..
    Big...
    well bigger at least.

15. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

thanks guys! :)

I will have it anodized in black, just like my little HTPC.
    I actually like monolith. Thank you! Obelisk has a pyramid on top, that doesnt really fit.

The case is 155x340x400mm (with feet). The cutouts in the top are for 140mm fans.
    To give you an idea i took some pics right next to my Lianli A71 and with a 120mm fan, a beer and a 1,5liter bottle, i hope that helps ;)
    on the left is the heatsink that is going in there, which takes up (84mm) more than half of the total width of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

having a look at the size of the case, with the heatsink on the side, really shows what this build is all about! - that sink is absolutely massive looking, compared to the case.

i haven't been this excited for a build in a very long time, and am really looking forward to you getting started on hooking your hardware up with cooling components.

17. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Glad I could help. :idea:

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Looks awesome. That Lian Li case could pass as a fridge... it's frickin' enormous.

19. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

Its not that big. Its only slightly bigger than a more modern BeQuiet 900.
    There is internal watercooling inside, so having some room is not a bad idea ;)

yes, the heatsink is definitely the centerpiece of the case.

I am excited as well. I still dont have any hardware that is going to go in there. The PC im using right now is an ATX size one (inside the LianLi), so i need to get a new PSU and mainboard, including RAM, CPU.
    Right now, im thinking about an Intel platform with an 7700K or 7600K.

Im still not sure about the graphics card. I want to use a 1080, just because i wanted to build a highend, silent and compact gaming PC, but i hardly ever play games anymore and im not sure, if i want to spend so much money...
    If i cant find a sponsor :worried:, i might use my 970 instead. It has about the same power consumption, so i can still have my cooling system proven.

20. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

just a small update today.
    i countersunk the holes in the aluminum panels (except for the one in the top, but i will get that done later ;) ) and tapped threats to hold the farbwerk in place up front. I still need some spacers for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]