1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks BT Infinity ULTRA - FTTP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Margo Baggins, 20 Apr 2017.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have one going live tomorrow.

I tried to sell the customer a lease line, 30mb symmetrical connection, on a cisco 2901 with ADSL failover, standard affair, 330 odd quid a month.

Got completely smashed in by BT, offering them the first FTTP connection in all of the south I think.

350 down, for 150 a month :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Not sure what the up will be.

Fairly excited to see it in the flesh and get it up and running, less excited as I think I'll be selling precisely zero leased lines anymore.

Anyone have one yet? either business or at home? I'll get some pics tomorrow when i've finished configuration.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I could phone Beardy Branson tomorrow and he'd give me 300Mbps down 20Mbps up for £47.25 a month.

Can you at least compete on availability?

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I have the 200/20 supposedly-un-traffic-managed version. VM certainly smash their contention ratios as high as the copper coax (wish they could get blasted by advertising Standards for calling it 'fiber' all the time...) will physically allow though regardless of your link tier, at least BT/Openreach limit to around 50 per link for their POTS products, not sure about how real FTTP is managed.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's a good point, and presumably something else Margo can compete on?

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

no no I think you misunderstand me :)

I'm not providing, I just have a client getting FTTP tomorrow, and I as far as I know not many people have that yet. So was just seeing if anyone else has any of it yet.

Virgin media is good - I've always had it at home. but 100% they QOS speedtest.net to the max :D and depending on your area, contention can be wild.

My lease lines are really expensive haha, they are uncontented though and I can give you up to 1gb/s.... if you have very deep pockets :D

6. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Voda's doing a nice deal until September - save 400p/a on a 1gbs connection, and if you get a 3 year term you don't pay install costs, only monthly.
    But still, that's damned expensive for most customers who only really see "infinity - 78mbs" and near vomit in disgust when we approach them with a 100mb/s connection.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

From a few leased line quotes I got recently, there's "install costs" from a network point of view of about £2500 that were waived on a 3 year term, but there's still the last ~1-200m or so to the premises that you have to fund, regardless of the term. In my case it was another ~£4000 estimated, subject to survey.

Threads like this give me a sad :(

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The "last mile" charges are Excess charges. A lot of providers will waive these (or you used to be able to use the government scheme vouchers on them) if they're not too big (Openreach usually cover up to a point).
    If it's over £5k you can cancel but you need to survey first to find out what it costs.