1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel boasts of record revenue, high profits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I'd say the very fact that they're discussing AMD Ryzen at an Intel business event is something unusual (at least in recent years) - and says that they are actually concerned of the potential of Ryzen.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They didn't discuss it at all - extremely pointedly so, in fact. It was during the Q&A, and the word Ryzen was never uttered and AMD only mentioned by the analyst asking the question. Here's the full transcript of the question and its answer:
    Notice how the subject of AMD was raised by the analyst, not Intel, and neither Brian nor Bob ever mentioned AMD or Ryzen by name - just 'from a competition standpoint.'

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

AMD would have to consistently provide a very clear and broad performance / cost benefit, and for a good length of time to have the possibility of any meaningful effect on Intels revenues.
    So far it's unable to accomplish either. I hope they can in the future. If they can afford to keep pushing before they run out of steam.

5. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

How exactly did they manage to increase the ASP in Q1? I don't recall the prices then being any higher. Suddenly a lot of people who used to buy an i3 got an i7?

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Aaaaaahhh, thank you, I bow to the master while getting my coat...

On the last point, I'm pretty sure Intels' people will have been on the 'unified presentation' briefing and cover 'overall competition' rather than AMD or Ryzen (or indeed any other manufacturer) - although that's just standard procedure for most companies, so I can't point to to any great AMD threat there either.