1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google launches Android 8.0 Oreo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Aug 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

Rydema and Jasmine Steve like this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My devices were on the beta, so got 8.0 final last night.

Jasmine Steve likes this.
  3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I read the list of new features and I have to confess that I am utterly underwhelmed. Mind you, that's been the case for the last couple of versions. I think Android is just pretty mature now and there's not much that they can do that's genuinely interesting or revolutionary, plus it seems like a lot of the "new" features are things that have been common for a while in variants. It's good to see those features being incorporated into stock Android, but how many people actually run plain stock Android these days? All the OEMs will continue to make their own variants, regardless of these new features.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Hence the most vital feature of Android 8: Project Treble, separating the hardware layer form the OS layer to remove one of the excuses OEMs have for not updating devices promptly.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah, my point wasn't so much about OEMs not updating devices, but that said OEMs have their own implementations of Android anyway, so changes to the stock Android experience aren't necessarily going to carry over to TouchWiz et al. But sure, if there are fundamental changes to the way Android works then those will impact everyone (even if those changes aren't immediately obvious to the end-user).

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

One would think that the name "Oreo" was trademarked.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They'll have done it in partnership with Nabisco/Cadbury, just like they partnered with Nestlé on Android Kit Kat. (Free advertising, innit?)

8. Rydema

Rydema What's a Dremel?

Have to do the usual thing and wait a whole year before Samsung roll this update out to the 7 series xD time to root me thinks!

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Same here but moreso to give me room. About 3gb is taken up by crapware that i can't delete or move to sd.

I had to temporarily delete stuff I need just to install the last android update I had.

Tags: Add Tags