1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looking for an MX518 replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 7 Sep 2017.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I recently misplaced my logitech anywhere MX and went back to my MX518. I loved my MX518 and have been using one since it came out in 2005 (I'm on my third one).That said, I feel the mouse is too slow. I want to replace my MX518 because the dpi button is sticking, it feels a bit sluggish and I want something more updated. I can max the mouse speed in windows but the movement doesn't feel smooth. Hopefully newer sensors work well on a wider range of surfaces, though I do use a mouse pad..

I would like an ergonomic, right-handed mouse with an 8 button design, I like how I can palm grip during normal activity and claw grip when playing FPS games. I will be buying the mouse in China from Taobao next month and most of the gaming mice seem to be around the same price. I would really like an 8 button design with a nice sensor that works on a range of surfaces. Naturally I don't want crap acceleration or prediction.

If I could get one mouse that would do everything as well as wireless and working on all surfaces that would be great as well.

It seems that I should consider these options based on my own:
    • Logitech G403 (379 RMB)
    • Razer DeathAdder Elite (399 RMB)
    • SteelSeries Rival 310 (379 RMB)
    • Zowie EC2-A (379 RMB)
    All of these mice are basically the same price: £45

Games: Doom, JC3, The Witcher 3
    Hand size: 19.5cm x 10.5cm
    Hand Preference: Right
    Grip: Palm for regular use, claw for gaming
    Weight: No preference
    Sensitivity: High

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I have both a Logitech G402 and G502. They're both superb, but the 502 is a lot more comfortable.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I have the G403 [wired], and i find it ok... picked it up cheap on Amazon Prime day as a replacement for a knackered G400.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

Logitech G403 http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/logitech-g403-review/
    • Sensor: 3366 Optical (Extremely Good)
    • Weight: 90g wired, 106g wireless
    • Buttons: Omron Switches
    • Size: Large
    • Game Types: FPS, MOBA and RTS

• Concerns: unsatisfying thumb buttons, braided cable, high palm

Razer DeathAdder Elite http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/razer-deathadder-elite-review/
    • Sensor: Optical (Extremely Good)
    • Weight: 98g
    • Buttons: Razer Mechanical Switches
    • Size: Large

• Concerns: Lacks on-board memory, requires proprietary software

SteelSeries Rival 310 http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/steelseries-rival-310-review/
    • Sensor: 3360 Optical (Extremely Good)
    • Weight: 92g
    • Buttons: Omron Switches
    • Size: ML-Large

• Concerns: buttons not the best

Zowie EC2-A http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/zowie-ec2-a-review/
    • Sensor: 3310 Optical (Very Good)
    • Weight: 95g without cable
    • Buttons: Huano Switches
    • Size: Medium
    • Game Types: FPS

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

The aesthetics of the G502 are really not for me. One of the reasons I didn't upgrade to a g400s the last time my MX518 needed replacing. I want my mouse to look like a mouse, not a space craft. It also looks harder to clean and easier to damage.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm deciding between the G403 and Rival 310.
    Don't anyone know where I can hold these in London to see which one is more comfortable?

7. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I had the MX518 and then moved to the G400 which is pretty much the same mouse.

Now I have the Roccat Kone Pure OwlEye, which is great for smaller hands and I really love it, could even say prefer it. But I also tried the Roccat EMP and was impressed but it was to large for me and is a bit larger than the MX518.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

GAME or Pissy world might have display models of the G403 that you can grope, not sure about the SteelSeries

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Does anyone know if Currys would have the G403 and Rival 310 on display? I would love to try the two out.
    I feel my MX518 is a little bigger than necessary which would indicate the Rival 310 as a better fit between the two.

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

The GAME near me said 'we don't support PC gaming', I can visit a Pissy world if they have both models. If them only have one it won't be able to offer much of a comparison. I'm sure if I were to try either I would be satisfied.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

I tried the GAME and Currys in Stafford but they only have the Rival 100, no rival 310, no G403 and no display models.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

It seems that nobody carries both and that the only option is to order both from Amazon and return one. Not Ideal but...
    The benefit is that I can try them both out for a for a while before deciding. How many days to have to decide with Amazon?