1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches mobile Ryzen chips with onboard Vega graphics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 26 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Under 50 FPS on CS:GO @ 1080p with no AA? That's underwhelming...

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Given that CS:GO is 95% CPU driven, that's to be expected.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I feel they've been a bit naughty throwing Overwatch in there running at 720p and then setting it to use 79% renderscale. Apart from that, it looks good! Will be interesting to see desktop APUs when the finally arrive.

Edit: It'd be nice if they used freesync as much as possible with those laptops too.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Sneaky sneaky, they've benchmarked the i7-8550u within an ultraportable laptop, so it will be thermally constrained. They even listed in the slides (but cleverly not in their summary graphs) figures for the i5-8250u in a slightly chunker (but still sub 2cm thick) laptop that also ended up outperforming the i7-8550u numbers. They also fail to mention what cooling solution they're using for the Ryzen chip. It's not much good if you can beat an ultraportable with your chip in a desktop testbench, after all.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Seeing that these range up to 25W and the UltraPortable is supposedly 15W, the only real way to know how decent these are is consumer benchmarks. We'll have to wait.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The i7-8550U / i7-8650U while rated at a TDP of 15W are configurable up to 25W just like Ryzen 5 2500U / 7 2700U.
    So (at least on paper) both are treating the 15W as a suggestion rather than rule to the exact same extent.

That gaming performance they are bragging about seems very lacklustre, only way they can get away with it is because Intel sucks even worse on that front.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, it's a given that you never trust manufacturer performance figures until they can be verified or otherwise by independent tests from a reputable source. Pretty much everyone has previous for producing bollocks figures, AMD not least of all.

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

2400mhz for DDR4 RAM? I thought you could get DDR4 that runs much faster than that?
    I do like this though. I would suit me perfectly for my next laptop. Most of my games aren't that new, so mid range GPU performance is fine, plus the H.256 hardware and low power consumption is a good thing. It will be nice to see what ultrabooks become available with this APU.

Tags: Add Tags