1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PCI-SIG finalises PCIe 4.0 specification, teases early adoption

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Oct 2017
  2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Next year is 2018, article says Q2 2019, I honestly thought they were gonna be like "finished 4.0, but skipping straight to 5.0 lolz".

As much as I keep getting tempted by boards and processors, I'm gonna stay strong and hold out for Zen+/X470 and Z390. Doubling the bandwidth on mainstream platforms will go a long way to closing the gap between them and their HEDT cousins, and provide a decent foundation for a rig that will last a decent amount of time.

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

PCI-SIG is not a target in that context, but rather targeting...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bah - wishing me life away, there. Fixed, ta!
    In actual fact, I accidentally a word: it should be "says PCI-SIG is to target..." Now fixed as well, ta also!

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Only if the new platforms actually gives you configurability in lanes use, 16 lanes gen4 is no better than 16 lanes gen3 if the flexibility of those lanes is still such that you can't add any additional cards etc. without stuff switching off.

Typically bandwidth isn't the issue but how it is shared between all devices on the motherboard.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Seems to be on the menu :thumb:

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

With Bifurcation already available (and getting wider and wider deployment on Z370, though even back as far as Z77 ASRock were making it available on their ITX boards), and PCIe 3.0 x8 not having any real effect on GPU performance (even dropping down to x4 is only just about measurable) you could easily take existing chips and split the x16 into an x8 slot and a pair of x4 slots (or an x4 and a a quartet of x1 interfaces) already.

Tags: Add Tags