1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Hypothetical question.....if you had access to say 1000 laptops for mining, would it be worthwhile? If they were all i5 and i7. Power usage is less of a concern than normal.....cheap business electricity rates. Roughly, how much currency could such a setup generate per day?

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hypothetically assuming on average 250 H/s for each CPU and 100% usage, somewhere around 700$ a day income

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Really? the ASIC miners can do megahashes per second, I'm a but surprised a lowly 250/s could earn anything.

With things like laptops and GPUs it's only worth mining other cryptocurrency anyway, you can't make much money with bitcoin compared to alternatives.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That would be mining monero which is ASIC resistant and so far has no ASICs available for it.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I look at crypto mining as one of the many other things where to make money from it, you already need to have a ****load of money... Also it seems like it's worryingly easy to be ripped off...

...and selling the 4[? i think] BTC i had way back when will go down, in hindsight, as probably one of the more regrettable mistakes i've made.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2017
  6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Don't ever buy those ASIC machines. The only people that profit from them are the manufacturers, unless you're a big (multi-million) buyer/spender, or if you buy older generations for significantly less profit and a lot higher power usage for the performance that they offer.

An i7 laptop won't produce 250 H/s, either. My R7 1700 with double the core/thread count only manages 180 H/s or so. :(

7. MLyons

I'm just going based on a site i found with a bunch of benchmarks. even at 125 H/s that's still 350$ a day

8. TheMadDutchDude

True... and a lot of cash if you have access to them. :D

On another note, BTC is looking to hit $16k real, real soon.

$15,862.60 USD (+22.24%) ......

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have a pair of old Antiminers - an S2 and an S3, I think. I was using them as subsidised heating last year: they pump out lovely warm air for my attic office and were earning between a third and a half their electricity cost back in Bitcoin - in other words cutting my heating bill down.

Then the power supply blew up and they've been sat on a shelf ever since. Bah.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It's supposed to be a cold winter, might wanna buy a new PSU. Failing that you could wear all your clothes at the same time - you'd also be dressed for every occasion :p

11. TheMadDutchDude

Uh, guys...

$16,575.90 USD (+28.09%)

12. MLyons

I used my 270x for heating when i was using that to mine payed for itself and some plus i got "free" heating.
    lol wot. Looks like I've made work a decent amount of money then.

13. TheMadDutchDude

It's falling slightly now as people are selling... but I reckon it'll go back up soon enough. :D

Edit: My point exactly. It's back up by almost $150. :)

Last edited: 7 Dec 2017
  14. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Bought some BTC on Coinbase earlier today, immediately sent it to my own wallet. Still pending on Coinbase, hasn't even hit the blockchain yet let alone had any confirmations.
    Anyone else had slow transactions with Coinbase? What other exchanges (that take GBP) do people recommend?

15. TheMadDutchDude

The transactions will likely be slowed down due to the sheer volume of traffic. I wouldn't be too worried just yet. :)

I use Kraken, but they seriously need to update their server as it is overwhelmed 75% of the day!

Also, for those that want to take it seriously, I'd highly recommend getting offline (cold) storage for your wallet. I've bought a Ledger Nano S which should do just fine. They get good reviews, too. :)

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The only way to move BTC quickly is to pay absurd fees for priority, that has been a big problem ever since the boom that started in march.
    No concerns with coinbase, they are very trustworthy.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I moved 0.0055 BTC into a separate wallet for a Christmas present (three times over) earlier this week, and paid a 22.484 sat/B fee (8.423 sat/WU, 'cos it was a Segwit transaction). That was about 60p at the time, 80p now (or roughly 1% of the value transferred, which is less than PayPal would charge for a non-friends-and-family transaction.) It was confirmed in half an hour.

You don't have to pay ridiculous fees, you just have to use the tools that are out there - like Segwit, and like looking at the mempool rather than letting frequently-terrible wallets pick a number out of the air.

18. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

What BTC wallets do you guys recommend? I'm currently mining a bitcoin gold via mining pool hub and it's getting exchanged into BTC, a bit of a premium but nowhere near as much as Nicehack/Nicescam was. I don't want to leave it in there though, I do have a localbitcoins wallet setup as that's where I was going to sell from. I have a monero wallet setup on my rig too as I was happily mining that away to nanopool, haven't reached the threshold for payout of 0.3 yet though.

19. Gareth Halfacree

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Samourai looks intersti.... and it's not compatible with my phone anyway... wonderful...