1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best single GPU - VR / 4K

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 28 Nov 2017.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Do you have a water cooled system?

I'd consider a water cooled one, you can get an AIO for not a lot more (~800) and it will provide much more consistent clocks with less noise, or buying the cheapest and putting it on water.

Whilst it's great to have good headline clocks with boost once things heat up the clocks drop, before water mine would drop from ~1900 to ~1500 unless I had an aggressive fan profile, hell of a difference, now it rarely drops below 2050. I do live in a sweat box though. :D

If you want to save some dough you can get a watercooled Vega64 (~650) it's no 1080Ti sits between 1070Ti/1080, it gets some stick from the internet but it gets the job done and tends to do DX12 stuff better than Nvidia, or of course a similarly watercooled 1080/1070Ti.

Whilst they are the fastest cards I can't remember what VR needs? is it like rendering two 1440p screens or is it high speed rendering of 1440p for example as that might determine what architecture is better?

4k is easy you'll be limited by any card :D but if it high hz, low res required for VR you might be limited by CPU rather than GPU.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2017
  3. bdigital

Thanks that's helpful. I am coming from the 980ti Evga Hybrid watercooled card. Its a great card, but I'm pushing it hard in VR (project cars 2 and raceroom).

Maybe its times for a Cpu upgrade? (would rather not). Still rocking my i7 3960x at 4.4. 32gb DDR3 etc.

To be honest theres nothing else that it cant handle at the moment, but I mainly use the PC for sim racing in VR now

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'd imagine that CPU is fine to drive anything well to be honest.

5. bdigital

Decided to go for the EVGA Hyrbid.... Only problem is.... Its out of stock everywhere :( Tried Scan, Aria, CCL, Novatech Amazon, Overclockers and Dabs.... Any others?

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Even EVGA's own store don't have them in stock...

bdigital likes this.
  7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

9. bdigital

I got the EVGA Hybrid 1080Ti Cheesecake just before Xmas :). I was so impressed by my 980ti equivilant I decided to stick with EVGA and the watercooler. Regarding CPU/Board/Memory upgrade. I have decided to wait it out until around Oct 18, by then I think it will be easier to make a choice on what to get next. Il be looking for a 6-8 core that will last me another 5 years like this one has.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

That is the one with the large regular fan (like not a blower) and the massive VRM sink, right? because the first one was kinda inadequate.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm in the same boat regarding upgrading my CPU, Mobile and Ram. But at current my ageing i5 4670K with the GTX 1080Ti is as fast as any i5 7XXX series in most games (When clocked to the same frequency).

Moving to DDR4 is what's holding me back, as it's not worth the price of the small amount of performance increase at today's rates. 16GB of the same 2400MHz as my DDR3 is almost £200, (Which is a side grade, not an upgrade.) which if I went out and bought a new Mobo, CPU and Ram, would be as much as a second GTX 1080Ti, which is where you will see a big jump in performance. Yet it's a shame VR games don't support SLI yet... So I'm going to hold fire till April when AMD release the Ryzen. :)

Arboreal likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

SLi is dead and has been since the launch of DX12. The wait for mGPU that works properly is now on, but I would hazard a guess and say you won't see support until the DX11 dev cycle is over and done. Then when people start using DX12 properly and not as a sales pitch (Tomb Raider 2 and etc) we may see it back to where it was a few years ago.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sli seems to work fine to me even in DX12.:oldconfused:

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

One GTX 1080 Ti is enough to run almost every game at 4K 60fps. So the likes of adding a second for SLI is pointless, unless you're running 120Hz+.
    Though these results are interesting for those that do fancy a second.

[​IMG]

15. Vault-Tec

When I bailed (about two years ago now) it was atrocious. Games all came out with no support, then I had to wait on it. Then when it did come I was treated to flickering textures and etc. Since then I hear it has just gotten worse, but I am glad it's OK for you.

IIRC the old way SLi worked does not work in DX12. IE - AFR. I could be wrong, but that is what I read.

And besides, the post that just Ninjad me says it all. You really don't need two any more. I'm getting by just fine with a TXP and 4k.

But as I said, SLi as we knew it is dead, or, dying. You will notice AMD have pretty much given up on Crossfire too. Even Nvidia CBA with the Titan V.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You've never needed 2x, its just nice to have if you can justify it, I can, well justify is probably the wrong word, but not be bothered if a 700quid gpu is doing nothing in one or two titles :p :D , sure there are some games with zero bump like Assassins creed origins that need it but there is the odd title in that list like BF1 that scales lovely for me, similar to RoTR, some nice scaling in that list to be fair. The next GPU release isn't going to get you 20% nevermind 50+.

Updated version of that babaltech review SLi shows quite well

SLi has the same limitations it has always had, it rarely works day1, it doesn't work for everything, it doesn't always work well when it is recognized, it needs a supporting high end system capable of backing it up and a user that doesn't mind tinkering, it is still not plug and play in every case but when it is working for you, it is great, it's still greater than a generational leap in performance :)

Titan V @2.7k vs 1080Ti SLi at less than half the price for 4k60+, easy choice.

SLi could probably be even better than shown if Nvidia would ditch the shitty bridge the number of times my cards hit the SLI limit is ridiculous, I sure if they just let me use PCI express it'd be better as I have the HEDT platform capable of giving all the lanes to a GPU.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018