Storage 2TB Seagate Game Drive for Xbox - What's inside?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 4 Feb 2018.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Getting to the point where my portable PC has almost maxed out on storage, I'm scoping out something bigger. Currently have a couple of Samsung 830 256GB SSD, one for the OS and the other stores games. This is in an ML08 case which limits the form factor to a 2.5" drive and 9.5mm high. Looking to replace the SSD used for games with a higher capacity HDD. Also have a stack of Microsoft Credit to use so this peaked my interest...

[​IMG]
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sto...92h2vv4b5vhj/4tfc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I've seen videos of the older green 2TB Seagate Game Drive opened up to reveal a Samsung Momentus Spinpoint ST2000LM003 that could be used as a regular internal HDD. The above is a more recent model but I can't find any reference to one being opened up on-line. Any Bit-Tech gurus opened one of these up or have greater google-fu than me?

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Better deal here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TKFEE5S?tag=hotukdeals062-21&th=1

Just shy of £62! The rub for me is that want to use Microsoft Credit so it's the Microsoft Store for me!

Had a look at my ML08 chassis and there's a big space where an optical drive could go. I'm thinking with a sata power extension cable and some gorilla tape I could mount a 4TB Seagate drive in there! Is there anything in the way of a Micro B Male to Sata Data and Power Adapter? If there is then I wouldn't even need to crack open the external drives case!

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You could just wire it to a motherboard USB 3 header?

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Already have that hooked up to a front header but good thought!

I cracked open the Seagate 4TB Game Drive and it's a ST4000LM024 sitting inside the enclosure. Just be warned that the enclosure has tabs that are designed to break once opened. So there's no going back and reinstalling it and then claiming on warranty if things go wrong! I'd rather pay £30 less as opposed to the standalone drive and get a USB cable, HDD Caddy including Sata to USB Adapter and a couple of month long game passes and run the risk! :grin:

It's all installed in my ML08 PC now as pictured below...

2018-02-06_210419.png

Well and truly a ghetto mod but that is gorilla tape I'm using which is stupendously strong! Surprisingly the hard drive had screws attached in the enclosure with rubber surrounds that cradled the drive in the enclosure. I screwed these into strips of gorilla tape that I stuck together, so no adhesive actually touches the drive itself. Well apart from a couple of strips above and below attached to the sides of the drive and then anchored to the case. I think it will hold and if it does drop then it can't go that far sandwiched between the chassis and the optical drive holder!