1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals What printer makes these?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 5 Mar 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

[​IMG]

They are printed on clear vinyl but the backing has yellowed.. Any idea? They are stickers from a bike.

2. Vault-Tec

Hmm. I think I have found a way to do it. I can buy a colour lazer printer for around £120, and vinyl sheets (transparent) to print onto. Now I just don't understand it. I can buy an OKI colour lazer printer for £120. However, the replacement toners are £77 each (magenta, yellow and cyan and then black obs). How does this make sense? £120 for a printer then £300 to replace the toners :S

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

First: laser. Light Amplification through the Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Laser.

Second: allow me to introduce you to the razor and blades business model. The razor's dirt cheap; the profit is on the blades. My laser printer - a Dell 1250C, which is actually the guts of a Xerox Phaser 6000B in a new chassis - was 'free' if I bought £100 worth of remanufactured cartridges. This isn't new. For years you could buy Lexmark inkjet printers on offer for £30, and a set of inks for it would be £90.

Bear in mind, though, that the cartridges you're getting with your £120 printer are not the same as the cartridges you're buying for £300; the ones that come with the printer are only partially filled - which is why it wouldn't make sense, in case you were thinking otherwise, to throw the printer out when they're empty and buy another one.

4. Vault-Tec

I figured that in the end but thanks for explaining it, G. So it's the same exact stupidity related to inkjets then.. Printer with ink costs less than replacements, FFS.

Thing is I paid £65 for that set of stickers up there ^ and took very high res scans before I stuck them on. I've been thinking about doing another one exactly the same (bike) but in the original red I had it in. Even if it prints of five sets of stickers I will make my money back and then some.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

And in the case of the Dell 1250c and others, the toner sets for £20 on Amazon do a pretty good job - so worth picking your printer based on the availability and quality of the third party toner first, and printer second.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My "£100" of cartridges was from IJT, that lot that's a spin-off of the lot wot own Morgan Computers these days. Two full sets, and I'm still on the very first set I put in the thing about four years ago...

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've had mine for 6 years and and replaced the toner once, in 2015.
    I'm pretty sure if I worked out the cost per page rounded to the nearest penny, it would be zero. Never an inkjet again!

8. Vault-Tec

I had a Apple lazer printer many, many years ago. And yeah, I used to print the crap out of that thing and never needed a new toner. I got it free with a Performa some one brought into work. Was very handy for printing letters and watching a bit of TV on (it had a tuner card).

As it happens I also had a HP lazer of some sort in the USA too, and it never ran out either. It did, however, have a paltry amount of memory and was easy to over load with complex diagrams etc. More suited to text I guess.

9. Gareth Halfacree

<twitches>

Mister_Tad likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

haha sorry. I don't know why my brain is determined that it has a Z in it :S

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I remember being a college and watching some numpty ruin a very expensive [several grand iirc] large format printer by trying to refill the very expensive ink tanks with those cheapo cartridge refill kits...

EDIT: A quick google put a set of inks for it's modern equivalent at £275 for the basic cartridges to ~£1200 for the high-capacity ones... and iirc that's at the cheap end of such things.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2018