News Xbox One S, X to get AMD FreeSync support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 12 Mar 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They have their console setup at their desk and switch input when they want to use it?

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Very cool :)

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Great. The original One doesn’t get it... xD

Not that it matters. The 30 FPS in games is a killer, especially when it decides it doesn’t want to work at 30 and starts dipping into the 20s. :/

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IDK how accurate it is and I've not looked any deeper but according to Forbes' Jason Evangelho original FreeSync will be available for the standard Xbox One

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From what I've read the original gets FreeSync 1 and the new ones get FreeSync 2

Corky42 likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Do people attach consoles to monitors? Never even thought of that, probably because I use the PS4 for other things other than just gaming so it sits in the living room.

8. MLyons

Yes, used to do it all the time. Makes sense when its at your desk setup. Want to play? turn it on and the monitor auto switches the input. Also has much less delay than a TV which you can tell when playing something fast like CoD.

adidan likes this.
  9. adidan

Makes sense.

Mind you I have the PS4 downstairs for TV and Movies, gaming is so far away I don't really notice any lag. I could see that being an issue in some games but then anything fast paced I tend to play on the PC anyways.

When I have my 'console room' I'll test it out using my stored away monitors that will then find a home :) Then again when I have a 'console room' is anybody's guess.

10. MLyons

When i used to play CoD semi-competitively I could easily tell. Playing on a TV felt as if everything had a slight delay on it.

11. adidan

Yeah definitely in something like that.

I tend to save my PS4 for stuff like TR, AC, Last of Us and that sort of thing - not really noticeable in those sorts of games.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Input lag with the fastest TVs is approx double compared to the average monitor, which is a huge part of the reason why monitors are so much more expensive.

From what I've heard hooking up a console to a monitor is mostly a thing being done in dorms in America due to space limitations.

13. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

Great news! Hopefully this update will drive the use of freesync and variable frame rates in all displays (tv and monitor) as a basic feature. I currently use my (non freesync) equipped monitor to play games so hopefully the next time I upgrade there will be a larger selection of displays with freesync to choose from.

I'm currently in the PS4 crowd (and irrationally quite anti-MS), but would consider the UHD playback and freesync as good benefits for getting an Xbox next time.

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Input lag is most definitely the most annoying part of using a TV. I was stunned at how much better my skills got by switching to a monitor.

I mean, it’s not like I was terrible to begin with... but wow... the quality of your play definitely goes up with less input lag. :D

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, I misunderstood that bit when I first wrote the article. Updated it to clarify now!

MLyons likes this.
  16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Input lag is dependent on TV, some are quite good mine is 20ms, sure there are much quicker monitors but there comes a point where its is not a big deal, when TVs were variable and up in the 70-120 range it was a problem but now I prefer the superior tech and size for the money packed into a TV like HDR etc than a bit of frame rate but I've always been an eye candy guy.

Frame rate` control all be in the latest cable specs soon enough, I'll just wait for that and the next generation of machines that'll support it natively.

17. cnyrsitizin

cnyrsitizin What's a Dremel?

Taken the price now of decent AMD graphics cards, it is good to see there might be some market for the many Freesync monitors out there as I don't suppose the miners are too bothered about whether their monitors have freesync. Shame NVidia Gsync monitors are so ridiculously expensive.

Tags: Add Tags