1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Making a website

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 28 Mar 2018.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

This past year I've been getting into publishing articles. I've been thinking about making a site for articles and blog posts. Something that would show off my publications. I a friend uses Squarespace which has nice products but I would like something with more economical. I don't mind paying a setup fee, but I would like a lower monthly cost.

I'm wondering about registering a domain using some kind of software or site to put together a clean but basic looking site.

This is my friend's site https://www.bijusukumaran.com/
    I would like something similar but with an article and publication sections that look more like a new site to provide easier navigation for older content.

I'm pretty handy with a computer but haven't done any web design since high school. I don't mind a bit of a learning curve as long as maintenance and adding new content isn't overly laborious.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If in doubt, wordpress?

BentAnat likes this.
  3. silk186

silk186 Derp

It seems a good place to start.
    I'm tinkering with it. If I get something decent I will look into getting my own domain to transfer it to.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

If you want a bit more of a challenge you could build one using Laravel

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Wix is another one that I've seen people use

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I run my sites on self-hosted WordPress, which works fine. If you don't want the hassle, use WordPress.com (not .org, which is the host-it-yourself version) and let someone else take care of the technical stuff. Alternatively, if you're looking for a built-in audience and would like to get paid, Medium.com has built-in monetisation and is free for writers to use.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't expect a huge flood of visitors but this is something to consider as I get more serious about writing.
    I don't really want to have to deal with HTML or any other web language as I only need a basic personal site.

I whipped something together with WordPress that is at least presentable in 2 days.

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

If you want to self host, tsohost are very good.

But there’s loads of places you can have a free blog on a subdomain. Tumblr even!

9. RedFlames

iirc wordpress themselves do too... <your name here>.wordpress.com

+1 for TSO... unless you need email [or more sepcifically, email that works]... then i'd looks elsehwere...

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will look into this later. I think it is easy to migrate with WP at a later date.
    I have a basic site which I will add some credibility to article pitches.

12. RedFlames

re: wordpress plugins - Yoast [SEO], even the free version, is worth installing...

one to be careful with - jetpack [which brings all/most of the wordpress.com features to a wordpress.org install]... some people swear by it... i mostly ended up swearing at it...

silk186 likes this.
  13. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will look into incorporating SEO into my content.

14. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've created a website and started adding content. I've found that the theme I started with is very limited. Also, I can't use plugins unless I upgrade from a free plan and pay a monthly fee.
    I want to try a new theme but I don't know how long it will take and I want to have a backup in the event it doesn't work out. I can't figure out how to backup my site without upgrading to use plugins.

15. silk186

silk186 Derp

I tried looking on the WordPress site but I couldn't find a forum. Searching for information on backup only gave plugins. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

16. silk186

silk186 Derp

I managed to get the site up and running with connent. When I finish this trip I will change the theme now.
    The pain is that it doesn't seem that I can perform a back-up of the site. This requires add-ons which require a premium account to use.

17. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

you can backup the website without having to pay. If you have access to the FTP and phpMyAdmin/MySQL database. Just download all of the files normally located in the "public_html" folder on the ftp and dump the SQL to a file and save these in a secure location.

silk186 likes this.