1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Need help with my Ryzen System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 19 Apr 2018.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Is anyone willing to help me sort out my Ryzen system as I'm not able to get the most from it currently.

I have the following:
    Ryzen 1600
    Gigabyte Gaming 3 - AB350
    Corsair DDR4 2 x 8GB - 3200 MHz (according to my scan account but I thought my set was 3000 Mhz, I will check when I get home).
    Corsair Hydro H50 (120mm all-in-one)

The issue:

I am able to comfortably get a 3.6 GHz all core overclock without touching voltages which is stable with no heat issues. However, I can't get my memory to run at full speed (i.e. XMP profile). Every-time I set the memory XMP (CPU stock or overclocked) it fails to POST with lots of beeping and restarts until the bios resets itself. The memory is therefore only at 2666 Mhz at the moment

I have updated the Bios to the latest with no luck to date. I'm not sure if its just bad board and memory compatibility or if I am just stupid and not clicking the right settings! I have the memory in RAM slots 1&3 which I believe is correct for dual channel.

I would like to get the memory running at full tilt stably (which should give a healthy performance boost) before I try and push the CPU up a bit more.

Anyone have a similar build and/or able to point me in the right direction?

PS is there an easy way of screen grabbing the UEFI or is it camera phone time?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Try putting your memory in the dual channel furthest away from the CPU. DIMM 2 and 4 as you look at the board. They have priority and often work better.

You will most likely need to manually set the speed and then make the timings really loose, two or three steps above what it’s rated for, and then let it attempt to boot.

For my memory to run properly, it had to first train at C18 before I could get it down to C16.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

XMP is an Intel thing, Ryzen settings aren't the same, you should be able to get more but it will require work.

Get the memory specs from thaiphoon burner to see what chips are on the sticks and then try looking at what people have done settings wise with similar ram chips on ryzen.

The is a list of OCs and RAM on overclock.net.

Took me over a week to optimise mine. I never hit the rated clock speeds but could run very tight timings which was more beneficial.

Tuning RAM is painful, lots of clr cmos in your future!

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

That's what I feared, between work and family my computer time is a a handful of hours 2 days a week so I'd rather not spend it all tinkering! Interesting comment re XMP the board shows the XMP profile as an option (hence trying to use it!). I will look at setting the timings manually to see if I get any luck.

Should I prioritize optimized timings or frequency? I vaguely remember getting it to run 2933 Mhz for a while at the default timings. What voltages should I aim for? I read elsewhere that a small voltage boost to CPU and SOC helped stability for one user.

5. TheMadDutchDude

Load XMP and then change the memory strap to the 2933 or 3000 MHz strap. See if it’ll boot. :)

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

OK running 3000 Mhz after setting XMP then tweaking down the freq and seems stable so far. Will test and then try for more.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Basically Ryzen supported speeds are 2133/2400/2667, Intel are similarly rubbish supported speeds officially but Intel introduced eXtreme Memory Profiles to take advantage of their quality memory controller when there were no standards for faster RAM in the industry standard specs for DDR (JEDEC?)

XMP are over clocking options and have 2 profiles normally, one conservative, one aggressive, they are basically pre tested overclocks that should be stable on Intels IMC, Ryzen didn't exist on introduction of these, it has a different IMC, Intels settings don't work as well unless the motherboard manufacturer or AMD have updated BIOS/firmware to support those specific sticks. So QVL list very important on Ryzen.

If you know what chips are on your ram then there are some good sites for tuning info, my Trident Z (Samsung B die) are cl16 3600 with 16-16-16-36, I can run 3600 at something like that but generally system performance is better at 14-13-13-26-42 @ 3333 there are quite a few other tertiary settings I have adjusted I don't even recall with bumped ddr voltage and soc voltage.

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Follow up thought - I am half pondering an ITX or ATX build. Would a X370/470 or B450 board be more likely to achieve faster ram speeds? In other words, did I skimp too much on my motherboard!

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's hard to know without the exact model number of the RAM you bought, if you could post the long series of letters and numbers that will either be on the receipt from whoever you bought it from, the packaging, or the RAM itself that would help as then we'd know what the speed should be and at what timings.

10. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

That's a Hynix kit, the bad news is Hynix mem kits and Ryzen don't tend to play nice o_O :confused:

[​IMG]

Corky42 likes this.
  12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From the research I've done so far it seems it comes in two variates, version 4.xx is Samsung, 5.xx is Hynix, Spraduke would have to open up his/her case and check the label on the heatsink to get the version number.

Despite CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 not being on the QVL list of memory for the GA-AB350-Gaming 3 that shouldn't, from reading about others experience, prevent you from running at 3200Mhz, if you're running the latest BIOS it should be stable when using the first XMP profile although you may need to manually set/check the voltage it's running at (should be 1.35v).

If selecting profile 1 for XMP and setting the voltage to 1.35v isn't stable could you open your case and scribble down the version number.

13. TheMadDutchDude

Being Ryzen, anything and everything can prevent you from running at full speed. :(

14. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Away from the computer right now but will give it a go once I'm back