1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Aww that is sad :( I read that interview.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've already got my new gig lined up starting in June (so I get a couple weeks of holiday), so i'm not particularly worried - i'm just a bit peeved by the whole thing, as I'd sold most of my stuff, and given half my clothes to charity etc.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That sucks, but just as well if it was going to happen, it happened before the move. There's precious little employee protection once you're over there, and not a lot of time to find a new job to keep your visa.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Humanity. I am going to sound a little like Kronos in writing this (IE a venerable old sod) but I am rather annoyed.

So let's go back to the start. About two months ago I get a letter from Scottish Power welcoming me aboard. I then, literally about ten minutes after receiving this letter, get an email from Eon "we're sorry to see you go". Then it dawned on me that my name wasn't actually on the letter and I had opened it in a tired stupor. I don't do mornings very well, and it was in my cubby hole. It's this girl called Emily or something. So I phone Eon and we eventually figure out that basically some one has used the wrong meter when switching power. That's all good, they will just cancel it. No word from "Emily" not a knock on my door or a note in my cubby hole bugger all. OK so I get a letter from Eon apologising for the mistake (even though it wasn't their fault) and I notice letters arriving in *her* name and *her* address from Scottish Power. So she knows f*****g A that she's messed up and used my meter. Still nothing. No tap on door, no note.

Today I get up and I know that all of the bills are going out today. Which is cool, because I can breathe a big sigh of relief and then start worrying and stressing again in about two weeks as I always do. Running a household is *amazingly* stressful for some one like me. Only Eon have taken nothing. I go to my online account and I notice that the enormous lovely great fat chunk of credit I have in there is at £58. WTF? Then I get an email from Eon "Thank you for switching". I phone them and they had closed the old account, copied the details across and etc. Meaning they have taken their "final" bill (goodbye big fat chunk of credit) and have not billed me for this month. So I have manually paid some money into it otherwise when the quarterly bill hits I will be a month down and will probably get a bill I can't afford to pay.

I wouldn't even mind that I have gone through all of this but for the ignorant bint who did it. And the annoying thing is she knows full well what she has done, and at no point has offered any kind of explanation or apology to me. Which I find quite offensive.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Still haven't been paid... thanks TSB...

...but at least they called the 'experts' in...

[​IMG]

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Congratulations HMRC - First month of the new tax year and you've managed to **** up my tax code for absolutely no reason.

I'm supposed to get email alerts when my tax code changes, which worked when I signed up for the marriage tax allowance, but no such explanation as to why they put me on 513M and docked me over £500 in deductions for this month.

Gonna be fun evening waiting on hold to argue this one out tonight...

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've spent the best part of the weekend, along with a couple of evenings in the week, arguing with the PC for an X-Ray machine that's been refusing to co-operate... essentially been doing it as a favour as the supplier no longer supports the software package that came with the machine and wants £1,800+VAT for them to 'upgrade' to the new package.

I'm going to have one last battle with the software tonight, after that I'm out of willpower and will have to suggest they either give in to the supplier's fee or enquire with other x-ray providers to see if their software could work with the machine the practice has.

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

§ 14 and § 310, sect. 1 of the of the Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (German Civil Code)

9. RedFlames

my german is rusty as **** but - Getting screwed over on account of being self-employed?

10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

You guessed it. I've got a bunch of BOMs, all relying on Misumi's massive inventory...but apparently I can't even open an account with them without providing a Company's House registration number or VAT number. :duh:

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ordered my phone on the 11th, was supposed to be dispatched on the 16th and arrive on the 17th, was dispatched on the 27th and was supposed to arrive today, went to the wrong distribution centre and is nowhere to be seen since.

12. RedFlames

Trying to find a cheap pay and go phone... everything's either over budget or out of stock...

...where did all the dumb bricks go?

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Government

adidan, IanW and yuusou like this.
  14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You're pretty much better buying an older smartphone from CEX or Game on the high street. CEX give you 1 year replacement warranty which could be worth it's weight for old tech.

15. RedFlames

Not for my budget they don't... not locally... It's be cheaper to walk in to CPW or the like than CEX...

For some things CEX make cash converters look grounded in reality.

[The local CEXes were the first place i tried.]

Last edited: 1 May 2018
  16. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Cost of funerals - £3600 for a simple service from co-op (not my choice - my sister booked it) if you don't pre-pay, but £2900 if you pre-pay. Same service, same coffin, same hearse, same funeral home etc. £700 extra - robbing barstewards, my contribution has cleaned me out of upgrading my rig anytime soon and buying the electric garage door opener that we need (so i don't always have to open it as the door is too heavy for my wife to lift, and she's too short to get it high enough to not fall back on her head anyway). Me and my sister have to pay for it as my brother didn't have a pot to urinate in, his dad has no money and our mum is long dead. shitdamnpissandbuggeryfuck x eleventy trazillion

MLyons likes this.
  17. RedFlames

Without wanting to sound deliberately insensitive or anything... is that for a burning or a burying?

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Ordered an item from eBay to a local collection point (A nearby Sainsbury's) as being at work an it being too large for the letter box it seemed the sensible thing to do.

Royal mail confirmed it was delivered on the 28th via text. Status on the order from eBay is showing "preparing" but then happily tells me the parcel will be available to collect from April 30th.
    Thought, well I've had no collection ready email but its worth a go, so went in to try and collect. The actually came out with my package but told me I cant have it because they've not had an email saying its ready :blah: This while he is holding the rather bulky item.
    Contacted the seller who as yet has not replied, so currently Sainsbury's are holding my package until someone pulls their finger out their backside an updates the order.

MLyons likes this.
  19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can you not get it delivered to your work? That's what I do here.

20. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Henry looked a me with a strange glee in his eye I’ve not noticed before.. having been on holiday for the last 8 months, he’s returned full up and looking mischievous..

Henry worked hard that night, doing what needed to be done. Nighttime - Henry was all tuckered out.. but where to put him?, can’t have him camping out on my bedroom floor for the rest of his life.. hmmmm - room 101! - (the cupboard of things that I never use, but have to own by law of the mother.. ironing board, clothes rack etc etc)

Taking one last look at Henry, I noticed he’d put on some weight recently - gonna be a tight squeeze!

In he went.. with much huffing and puffing.. which resulted in a loud, unexplained bang!

Henry had managed to dislodge a paint can, and has luck would have it - a lid that slowly made a break for freedom..

Queue half a tub of white emulsion seeping out the from underneath the door to the warmth of the carpet..

Henry, and his little brother (who was quite happy in the cupboard), had a new colour to wear too.. as well as everything else.. including the bottom of my feet and trousers!

At this point.. what to do? - operation cleanup! - which only resulted in white footprints to the kitchen and eventually my jeans falling to the ground and no way of picking them up! - (hands covered in paint by then)

Queue 2 hours of cleaning.. thankfully.. just about gone now..

Henry looked at me cheekily with one eye, the other a shade of dripping mat..
    Henry is a complete *$€^ bast**d..

legoman, Zak33 and MLyons like this.