1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Apex Legends

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 4 Feb 2019.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Well the reveal stream has been going for a few hours now, though it hasn't really started, started. It's just static images with the occasional teaser 'glitch'. But some of those glitches have me pretty hype!

I was disappointed when I heard it wouldn't have Titans, but honestly the general movement in Titanfall was always super fun anyway. This being free-to-play I will definitely be giving it a go. My hope is it will launch during/after the stream which would keep the hype train running, stagger the people hammering the login servers and give me some streams to watch tonight!

We don't know a lot, but we do know the grappling hook is there, there will be classes, 60 players per match, teams of up to 3, it's going to be on PC, PS4 & XB1 and it's running the same engine as Titanfall 1&2 (modified Source).

Stream actually starts in 1 hour (20:00 GMT), but if you want to leave it open in the background you will see some teasers:

https://www.twitch.tv/playapex

There's been a lot of humour in the teasers so far and I'm really looking forward to trying it out!

twitter | twitch | website | instagram | facebook | youtube

2. Hex

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I hope it is not pay to win!

4. Hex

All the stuff you pay for is cosmetic, at least for now. New Legends will be purchasable but you can use in-game currency too.

Mr Happy likes this.
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Got this downloaded, will give it a go tonight :thumb:

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Shame the parkour has gone along with the Titans. This ain't a Titanfall game; it's a generic battle royale using recycled Titanfall 2 assets.

7. Hex

To be fair Respawn didn't call it a Titanfall game (we all did), they just said it's set in the same universe.

The shooting still feels really nice and Titanfally, I'm terrible at BRs so died pretty fast in the one game I had last night, but I'm definitely getting on to play more today.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Downloaded this last night for a few games tonight.

It is a shame that they didn't copy across the movement from Titanfall as that could have been its USP. From the couple of streams I watched (briefly) it looks like CoD:BR (whatever that is called again) with a different map.

Reserving judgement until I have given it a shot.

9. Hex

From what I've read, Respawn originally had it with parkour (you can still run up walls) and Titans, but it didn't play well in a balanced BR. From the VG247 article:

“[We were like], let’s try it with Titanfall: let’s try wallrunning, let’s try Titans,” design director Mackey McCandlish explains. “We had a tonne of fun. It felt in some ways like the upper level of possible Titanfall skill – a masterclass of Titanfall. You had to be supremely good at your wallrunning and map sensibility to excel in that environment, that one-life version of Titanfall. It was so fast-paced you’d be exhausted; you’d die fast.

Battle royale has an inherent fairness that makes it work. It’s like Texas hold ’em. You all get two cards – you don’t get to come in with ten cards at the final table and roll everything. Titans and wallrunning threatened that competitive fairness in different ways. We want to make a game that you can play for thousands of hours and discover depth and mastery that you can really sink your teeth into. Part of the fun of that is you’re reacting all the time and you’re not as much anticipating a match and getting the drop."

Something I'm really loving and hope just keeps getting better and better with game releases are the accessibility features. You can have incoming voice transcribed to text, all the menus can be TTS, and the game in general lends itself to using pings to communicate so you don't need voice.

Linking Datto's video as he does pretty good unbiased 'reviews':

10. Hex

The more I play, the more I spot some really nice little touches in this game. I am so glad they didn't rush the release to jump on the BR hype-train. If it'd come out half-baked it would have flopped no doubt.

The ping system is amazing. I really love it. There's no need to be in voice comms, which is a real bonus for some of us! :rollingeyes: I didn't realise until yesterday if someone pings an item you can call dibs on it! You can also open your inventory and ping what items/ammo you're missing. There are often prompts on screen to share info with your squad too, especially when you play as Wraith. If one of your squad mates is firing their weapon, you'll see a little muzzle-flash icon coming out from their name in the bottom left.

Also, doors can be kicked or blown off. Which a few of us discovered shortly before our deaths :hehe:

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Played this at the LAN event at the weekend and loved it. Will 100% be a game I play when I get time.

Hex likes this.
  12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My lads been playing this and he got the rarest item you can get on his fifth loot box (or whatever they are called)

Hex likes this.
  13. maxlxyd

maxlxyd What's a Dremel?

This is the best game of 2019... don't @me

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

@maxlxyd CTR is coming out this year. Don't be dissing crash now.

edzieba likes this.
  15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I cant see why people like this, its horrible imo and i loved TF2 and still play it alot.

The bullet sponging kills it for me.

16. MLyons

Think it's great. What do you mean about bullet sponging? If you mean the latency I hadn't even noticed until I saw the testing. Feel just like an old school CoD game with slightly more health.

maxlxyd likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"Bullet sponge" mechanics are common to MMOs: enemies, whether other players or AI-controlled characters, take a bajillion bullets to kill. Contrast with a more realistic game, where a single headshot is enough to down an enemy.

The enemy, you see, is like a sponge, except instead of water it soaks up bullets. Bullet sponge.

18. MLyons

I'm aware shooters need to require more bullets per kill as it would get pretty bloody boring otherwise. sponging in shooters normally refers to dodgy lag compensation that devs have put it that seem to discount bullets. With the armour I can see why it may come across as spongy but no worse than a battlefield.

19. Gareth Halfacree

20. Hex

I understand exactly what "bullet sponge" means. But I don't understand what it has to do with Apex Legends? :eyebrow: I honestly thought you'd taken a wrong turn somewhere and meant to post in the Anthem thread!

Personally haven't found TTK all that high unless you're using low tier weapons/attachments against someone with high tier armour. Even then, that's kind of what you expect from that scenario.

maxlxyd and MLyons like this.