1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other X58 Gear What To Do With It?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 21 Jul 2019.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have been to a friends today who had my X58 gear, and I have got it back since he has upgraded to a Ryzen system.

It's a Core I7 950 which I know when I ran it, under water did 4.2Ghz @ 1.25v, an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 which I got of Big Elf back in 2014, and some old G-Skill Trident 1600Mhz ram and my mate threw in some other random ram.

I have a Ryzen system for being a Media Server, Video Recording, Stream PC and Video Rendering although at the moment it mainly gets used for a Media Server.

I have my main machine which is a Intel 7700K for strictly gaming.

My dad is using my old 4790K based system for his gaming machine and my old Ryzen 3 based system for his media server, my grandad is using my old 6700K based system and 2 of my nieces use my old 2700K based system.

I know I could sell the lot of it and probably get £120 to £160 for it roughly but given it's such old stuff and I don't have any boxes for any of it and not to mention it's X58 stuff so it's kit from when overclocking was actually fun.

So the question is what to do with it?

adidan likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Was thinking the same thing, moving house reminded me I have an evga ftw3 x58 board and 930 chip. Think there's even ocz ram lol.

Don't know whether to sell it on or what i could do with it either.

Part of me is still attached to it.

damien c likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think someone has an acute case of upgraditous :p Overclock it to death, frame it as an art piece, or find a local charity. That P6T is iconic in my mind! Also note, its from a time when motherboard designers knew how to passively cool secondary IC's with heat pipes and not fans! :p

adidan and damien c like this.
  4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well if I can somehow get the money together to upgrade both machines they will both be upgraded to the Ryzen 16 core chip with AIO's and 32Gb of ram each.

As for the overclocking, it's a good idea I might look at getting some watercooling gear over the next few months and just see how far I can push it.

I know at 1 point I had it stable at 4.5Ghz but it needed more volts than I was happy with, around the 1.375v mark.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just dump that old stuff on some relative who never does anything more demanding than posting cat pictures on facebook.

Osgeld likes this.
  6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

What I wouldn't give for one of those for my E5620s. Want to try clocking it up and have no running PC besides. Too bad I'm across the pond.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Get clocking :D

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I don't even remember selling the motherboard. I wondered where it had got to.

adidan likes this.
  9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I tested the cpu after my brother in law tried to fry it, and then 2 days later my mate picked up the board, cpu and ram and has been using it ever since in his pc.

It's actually only the 2nd Asus motherboard that I technically own which has lasted more than 12 months.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

First Intel x86 processor to be RISC, rather than CISC, at its heart, fact fans. Which is why, contrary to popular belief, the dialogue "P6 chip; triple the speed of the Pentium" ... "RISC architecture is going to change everything." "Yeah. RISC is good." from 1995 classic Hackers is, in fact, not technobabble gibberish: the P6 architecture, first implemented in the Pentium Pro, was, indeed, RISC.

The More You Know!™

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Sell it whilst people are still paying over the odds. I've just sold a P67 board for the same price you can buy a brand new board for, generations newer with warranty.

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Best thing about Hackers was that dude's multiple plaits. I will admit I did that to mine after watching it, but my hacking skillz did not as a result become leet.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Because both films are absolutely awesome? Fun fact: HMRC's (ill-advised) voiceprint identification system literally has you say "my voice is my password" at it.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You can't admit that! Especially not here!