1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bojo proroguing this parliamentary session and the queen...

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 28 Aug 2019.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I am just a layman when it comes to politics, FYI. I've always had a problem with the royal family, I love them, I feel it's something special about the UK but my rational side says it's really not okay to have royals on the books. It's really contradictory to this country and how we are (maybe) world leaders. Now, she has just gone along with Bojo's plan. Did she really think it's the right thing to do? We'll never know. Did she have any other choice but to agree? No. And this is my second problem, she's useless and costs loads of money. Those who say she makes this country what it is is really disrespecting all the hard working individuals who actually keep the pace of progress in society moving, by keeping her status she's holding it back...

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Doesn't the tourism revenue alone dwarf what it actually costs the taxpayer to "run" the royal family?

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Indeed - how about we just let the royals be tourist attractions and nothing else.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

That's what Madame Tussauds is for, surely? :p

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Aforementioned tourism stuff, and does she actually have a say?
    Outside of all the pomp and circumstance, her role is to go along with the PM's plan when she must be consulted, surely. When's the last time she's ever gone against the grain or called an audible?

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Exactly. They are ceremonial and that's it.

Short of locking the doors and getting Phil to shout through the letter box "one is not in" she always had to go along with it.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Technically, Ol' Queenie has the armed forces on her side - there's a reason they're called the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, after all, and while the British Army might not have the word 'Royal' in it Queenie's still in charge - so could do something very decisive in defence of the country. Our Glorious Leaders, meanwhile, have the police and other civil authorities, so it'd be a fairly one-sided thing.

It'd mean the abandoning of any pretence that we're a democracy and a reversion to absolute monarchism, and I can't promise nobody would try to invade us as a result, but the option's there.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Will she lead the charge?

[​IMG]

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Every time the Queens mentioned in terms of sorting stuff out i can't help thinking of Russel Howard, i would post links to his sketches but some contain rude words, his Brexit? Everything’s gone to *No.2's* is my favorite.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My own two pence on the situation is BoJo has prororogoenated (new word I cant be bothered) parliament to stop them bickering about whos in charge and focus on Brexit, instead its kind of back fired and he is now stuck everyone kicking off about it saying they cant do anything and he needs to leave.

11. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

It's totally a cynical move on his behalf, despite the platitudes about business as normal. They knew full well this would create a **** storm and here it is! Do not underestimate Bojo - he looks like a buffoon but hes a conniving git under all of it. I'm still certain that he was never truly back stabbed by Gove (when May got power) but instead he realised it was an unwinnable position to take the PM-ship at that time, so wanted to bow out without looking like he lost.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It seems more like he did it to guarantee MP holidays than to block debate, as the "closed" period covers party conference season.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

One less awkward encounter for him to face.