1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ordered a es CPU from Japan. £70 cheaper than UK. He sent me a message saying it was shipped and he sent it as a $5 gift so I wouldn't get stuffed by customs.

Never ordered anything from Japan before but bugger me wid fish fork they don't piss around do they? 4 days later it arrived at mum's.

So much for the 4-7 week Chinese wait :D

3. RedFlames

ASUS [via UPS iirc] managed to ship something from Taiwan in just over 24 hours,
    Corsair [via DHL iirc] shipped some from belgium to my door in 21 hours,
    Royal mail... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    USPS... the label clearly says 'UK', but lets try every 'Newcastle' in north america first.

the 4-6 weeks is usually if it's slow-boating it from china... like literally on a boat... [that and/or the lead time waiting for the appropriate chinese 12yr old in the factory to build the thing]

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

My niece went away with school, she left a teddy behind that she has had since she was 1 years old and she is now 10 years old.

She was really upset and not very happy for the last 2 weeks.

2 days ago I found the same teddy on Ebay, not hers but a new teddy that was the same type etc.

It turned up yesterday and I surprised her with it, she burst in to tears, in so happy and she didn't let it go at all for the day.

My sister sent me a picture last night of her in bed and clamped in her grips was her teddy.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Now THAT'S how to uncle! :thumb:

MLyons and damien c like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

I have noticed that some Chinese companies pretending to be English get you the product within about 7 days. They drop ship it here to the UK then some guy sends it via yodel.

It's quite funny really as you have three price brackets. Long cheap and slow, faster and medium price, then the guy in England who has bought them in bulk and wants 2-3x Chinese prices.

They all arrive in grey plastic with yellow tape lol.

I wasn't in a rush to get the CPU over because it was the cheapest in the world, but I won't say no to air mail. Shipped stuff takes forever. Back in the early 90s I did a lot of research for cerwin Vega (US speaker company) and I'd continually blow up speakers. They'd send me anything I ever wanted free, but it came by ship and took up to 4 months :eek:

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

SO fed up with cars and car problems, my son's Polo 1.2 failed its MOT this week and looks like it needs a new engine or a bottom end rebuild.
    My '2 stroke' 1.8 TSi Octavia is going back to the seller on a 30 day refund basis tomorrow, as it used 4L of oil in 3 1/2 weeks / 950 miles.
    Needed a car to drive as the plan I had to use my son's car now he's gone to university has gone pop...
    I've probably been watching too much of Alex the YouTube channel Car Throttle, and set myself a £500 temporary car challenge this week.
    Looked at more cars on ebay/Gumtree/FB Marketplace than I'd care to mention. Viewed 2 horrors yesterday; a tired 2008 Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 as a possible handover after temporary use to my son; not great. Exhibit B, rough as F* 2001 Fabia 1.9 TDI. Tatty all round and in need of industrial cleaning inside and seat rebuilds. Engine had been remapped to 130 spec, wasn't expecting to wheelspin pulling away in the dry!
    Late on yesterday, SWMBO send me deets of a 2004 Citroen C3 a mile or 2 from home. Went to try it this morning, and parted with 500 quid after lunch.
    Lady owner has a bad knee and shoulder, and needs an automatic. Passed MOT 2 weeks ago with no advisories, as it did a year go. Needs a clean, oil & filter change and a coolant flush through.
    Hoping it will get me through the next few months while I consider what to buy as my reliable daily driver.
    /Aaaaaaaaaaand breathe!

8. Vault-Tec

Please read ..

Take my hand and come with me,
    I want to teach you about Autism
    I need you to know, I want to explain,
    I have a very different brain.
    Sights, sounds, and thoughts collide.
    What to do first? I can't decide.
    Please understand I'm not to blame,
    I just can't process things the same.
    Take my hand and walk with me,
    Let me show you about Autism.

I try to behave, I want to be good,
    But I sometimes forget to do as I should.
    Walk with me and wear my shoes,
    You'll see its not the way I'd choose.
    I do know what I'm supposed to do,
    But my brain is slow getting the message through.
    Take my hand and talk with me,
    I want to tell you about Autism.

I rarely think before I talk,
    I often run when I should walk.
    It's hard to get my school work done,
    My thoughts are outside having fun.
    I never know just where to start,
    I think with my feelings and see with my heart.
    Take my hand and stand by me,
    I need you to know about Autism.

It's hard to explain but I want you to know,
    I can't help letting my feelings show.
    Sometimes I'm angry, jealous, or sad.
    I feel overwhelmed, frustrated, and mad.
    I can't concentrate and I lose all my stuff.
    I try really hard but it's never enough.
    Take my hand and learn with me,
    We need to know more about Autism.

I worry a lot about getting things wrong,
    Everything I do takes twice as long.
    Everyday is exhausting for me...
    Looking through the fog of Autism.

I'm often so misunderstood,
    I would change in a heartbeat if I could.
    Take my hand and listen to me,
    I want to share a secret about Autism.

I want you to know there is more to me.
    I'm not defined by it, you see.
    I'm sensitive, kind and lots of fun.
    I'm blamed for things I haven't done.
    I'm the loyalist friend you'll ever know,
    I just need a chance to let it show.
    Take my hand and look at me,
    Just forget about the Autism.

I have real feelings just like you.
    The love in my heart is just as true.
    I may have a brain that can never rest,
    But please understand I'm trying my best.
    I want you to know, I need you to see,
    I'm more than the label, I am still me!!!!

Author Unknown

Copy and paste this as your status if you know someone with Autism or know the struggle yourself. When people tell you it's an excuse just read them this!

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

After getting some comical quotes for adding a basic circuit to the garage I decided to look at solar.
    My god this stuffs easy, no faffing with planning permission, inspections etc. For about £500 (less than half I was quoted for mains) I can fit lighting and a power socket an likely do it all myself in about a day.

Why people don't do this more is beyond me. Looks like I have a winter project sorted!

10. oscy

oscy Modder

Thanks to seeing a random thread about broadband bills, I happened to look at my recently-haggled BT contract and realised it didn't include my line rental, so I've cancelled it with just 1-2 days cooling off period to spare. Either they'll better their offer and I stay or I go to probably Plusnet, which is a partner of BT anyway, either way that saves £300+ for the contract.

Then I followed up my wisdom tooth referral that I never heard from and managed to rearrange from Oxford's dreaded child-killing John Radcliffe hospital to the more well-received Banbury, which is worth the extra 2-month wait. No more dealings with that dodgy one in charge of Oxford hopefully.

Suspiciously productive conversations!

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

New client paid about half an hour after invoicing. Happy with that.

I mean, it came via PayPal and its fudged USD-GBP conversion rate, so it's about £9 short against interbank rate, but still. Small price to pay for not having to wait anything up to 60 days to get paid, isn't that right, Publisher That Rhymes With Puture Fublishing?

MLyons likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Aren't they still British, shouldn't they pay you in GBP? If I remember correctly, they started off in Somerton, Somerset and are now headquartered in Bath.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sorry, probably phrased that badly: Puture Fublishing is an existing client, and the one that pays by far the slowest (but in GBP); my new client that pays in minutes but in USD via PayPal is an Avnet subsidiary.

(Hackster.io. It's Hackster.io.)

14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... = "shots fired" at perennial paying-as-late-as-possible customer...?

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I probably just misunderstood.

16. RedFlames

In my limited experience, it's the British based places that take the longest to pay. And/or expect you to knock a %age off in exchange for them actually paying you in the same calendar year as you sending the invoice.

The absolute worst ones for trying to get them to pay up on time [or at all], in my experience... Local govt.

17. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Snow! Well it's trying to at least.

18. RedFlames

Where?

19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

[​IMG]

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The snow this morning didn't last long and didn't accumulate of the ground. Nothing compared to the neighbours 300 km to the south which got 23 cm on Sunday.