1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice How relevant is my PC to today's market?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slambittech, 6 Jan 2020.

1. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Is the PC I built revelant today?

I have a i7 6700k cpu, with Mai GTX 1070 gpu, 120gb ssd, with 3x 2tb hard drive, maximus VIII hero atx motherboard, Corsair 16gb ram, Corsair h115i liquid cooler with NZXT phantom 820 full tower.

Will it play today's games at max settings still?
    How much is this PC still worth?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's still very relevant, although it's crying out for a big SSD to speed up those loading times. It will still play just about everything pretty much maxed out at 1080p, and 1440p with some reduced details.

As for what it's worth, the easiest thing to do is look at sold prices for the individual components on eBay, add them together and then subtract somewhere between 10-20% depending on overall condition.

If I had to hazard a guess without doing any research I'd suggest a ceiling of £500 all-in, but I might be way out. Complete builds are quite difficult to price.

slambittech likes this.
  3. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Thanks for this.
    Yeh I've been looking at builds for all the components at new prices and they are still pretty high over 1000.
    ssd definitely can need a upgrade.

4. Shirty

Having had a quick glance at eBay I'd revise my estimate to £600 all-in, assuming a decent PSU. If you want a full appraisal head over to the marketplace and open a price check thread, I'm sure you'll get much more accurate figures than my *** packet scribbles!

5. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Thanks for all your help,
    Yeah I looked and I think it also worth £600-700.
    Madness that the NZXT phantom 820 full tower i purchased was around £170, now sold one on the bay for £13.
    Not worth selling as I think its an amazing case.

6. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

btw I have the EVGA G2 750W psu.
    Thanks for your help again.

7. Shirty

To be honest, if it were me I'd upgrade the GPU, replace the 1070 with something a bit meatier and enjoy it until games I wanted to play started to stutter.

However, if you're looking to sell up then break it down, you'll get more cash in return.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

the pc is perfect for me as i don't really play games, I mess around with video editors sometimes and it works perfectly fine for me as i just use it to browse, music, play the odd games (ie destiny 2 free to play).
    However the reason I ask the questions is that I am considering giving it to my brother as he wants one to play fortnite and try some streaming and also make some videos as he recently got a gopro.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

As @Shirty said.

Get a bigger SSD and if you want to play the latest games at max resolution, a GPU upgrade, the rest is perfectly fine.

You could buy your brother a reasonable second hand PC that will be perfect for Fortnite and the rest for less money than it would take to build yourself a new rig.

Get your brother a second hand m/b, cpu, case, GPU & PSU, donate your small SSD, and one of your HDD's to him and bob's your proverbial mothers brother.

If you want a GPU upgrade yourself, simply donate your 1070 to him - even though it is a massive overkill for Fortnite.

Edit: as an example, there is a mATX system for sale in the marketplace right now that would be perfect for Fortnite - H61 m/b, i5-2500K, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 450w PSU and case all for £120 delivered, add something like a GTX750Ti for around £50 or a GTX1060 for around £90 and you have a great Fortnite rig for around £200.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
    Arboreal and slambittech like this.
  10. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

This is why Im considering giving him my pc as i don't really use it. I use my laptop which is one of those hp 360 spectre with i7 in it, which is perfectly fine for me. So to save some moneys instead of him spending around £800, my pc would be more than enough for him even with all the current setup including the SSD. :)

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

SSD is becoming/has become a must have on a modern system, but other than that no problems whatsoever.

Also as a side note, you can't really judge prices of older kit using current new prices as they are useless as nobody is buying those components new anymore :)

Guest-44638 and slambittech like this.
  12. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

thanks, just checked and the ram is 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 3000 VengLPX.
    However checking task manager says its running at 2197Mhz (is that because i need to overclock it or something to get to 3000?)

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If he wants to do streaming he'll struggle, other than that a bigger SSD as people have said. £50 will get you a 500GB easily :)

14. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Why would it struggle when streaming? I thought the CPU GPU and ram with a very fast internet upload speed would be enough?

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends what your streaming

fortnite will easily be streamed on your current rig, if your trying to stream final fantasy 15 you might struggle

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I watched a video on Linus (I know, shoot me now) recently and he upgraded to a 12 core Ryzen because of this. For streaming and VR more cores are better.

I'd never stream on a quad core CPU. This is just something Ryzen is good at.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  17. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

What would you suggest for the GPU?

Maybe a 2080? Or you think better to get 2080s, something like this
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-gb-gaming-oc-graphics-card-10200883-pdt.html

18. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

However maybe a 2070S as I'm searching and price seems favourable and also performance nearly on par with the normal 2080?

19. Shirty

Unless you are driving a 4K panel I'd say the 2070 Super is a very solid choice.

At 1440p I moved from a 2080Ti to a 2070 Super and can honestly barely tell the difference. That said, I'm not a stickler for sliding all the graphics settings to max because a) it definitely doesn't change the playability of a game, and b) the difference between high and highest is usually quite difficult to discern.

I really won't notice if the shadow cast by a random butterfly fluttering past has soft edges or not...

20. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Thanks for the reply.

so the 2070 Super is a massive step up from the current 1070 gpu i got?

Monitor has:
    • 2560 x 1440p
    • Refresh rate: 144 Hz
    Thanks