1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Da Module Thingy - Handmade Not Sponsored

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jean R built, 19 Feb 2020.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The boxy handles would work if they were retractable... I think. And if they fold out 90° once pulled out... or is that going to far?

Love the case, handles an' all.

Jean R built likes this.
  2. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks all for your likes and brain power.

I have a new design for the handles that will vaguely mimic the tubed ones, to be honest they could be even better this way but I have to test how strong they are in the next days you don't want a handle to brake while carrying a PC.

As some of you talked about folding handles, I agree the boxy ones could work well with some kind of retractable system in place the concept is cool but I have a problem with space.

Sometimes I complain that it's bigger than the first concept but it was very compact it was going to be a sub 20 litres case that way, now it's about 30 litres the normal volume for a mid case but that's considering the full gross measurements and not the voids consider that the top crown is about 4 litres all by itself the base crown is 2 litres now it's slightly bigger than the phanteks evolve shift.

The handles have about 50x20x10 mm of space on each attachment slot, it' not a lot of free space to put moving systems but I'll work on that idea if the curved one won't work :thumb:.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

There's the possibility of making the handles even more elaborate, so they become a part of the case aesthetics. -Think CoolerMaster Cosmos.

Jean R built likes this.
  4. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks for the idea, even though I like the Cooler Master products, and I really respect and like your work CM Team, I don't want to copy their design or anyone else, now that the name came out I can tell you that I did consider buying their Q300L and mod it instead of crafting mine.

To be honest until now I was able to recreate in real life what I had in mind even if sometimes it was a PITA to do everything by hand, I think that when the project will be complete it will look cool and sexy :hip:.

Today I shortened the handles again, the first day they were even longer I didn't show 'em because meh...:hehe: but in the last shots they were 45mm from the top crown border that's how far they usually are on the buildings doors, now they are 25mm or 1 inch from the border.

For my concept they have to be always visible with a bit more of an "utility look" than the rest of the case, if not it would just be a Pc case similar to what I wanted to do.

I got the right feeling when I put them on the first time, even if a bit too long.

Now with the new proportions they look a lot more cohesive with the rest, a bit less comfortable but closer to the original concept dimensions.

I'll wrap them tomorrow with something dark to see if they need more work or craft the other concept I have ready that vaguely mimic the tubing design :dremel:.

5. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

You're right, just follow your instinct. I try to do the same ;)

Jean R built likes this.
  6. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Update about the CPU cooler bulge added layer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The added layer is going to stay bare aluminium with a brushed finish and fixed with a couple of small screws, the shell is going to be leather wrapped like the rest of the shells.

Have a nice day :thumb:.

Cheapskate and Canardwc like this.
  7. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

So this little epic adventure is still going forward.

As everything I'm doing on this project or cars by the way, is self taught and it's the first time I'm working on so much metal, I have to study some of the things I'm going to build as the work progresses.

Right now I was sure to finish off the shells but I didn't have the external cable guide finished, and it's attachment point could involve modifications.

And here we are I'm crafting my very first hinge, I had bought a couple of piano steel ones a couple of months ago not a beauty but not bad looking either, but as my brother said I made all by hand till now so let's finish it this way :dremel:.

I'm crafting a lift up hinge, that will allow the external cable guide to move outward and upward to make a bit comfortable to access the cable passage of the top crown and it will keep it parallel to the case.

A couple photos of the hinge mounting plate to check if the distance was enough

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A photo of the first try, it was some aluminium pipe scrap I had around I tried to convert it to flat bars by hammering them down...

[​IMG]

Even if it's fun to do some cold hammer smithing to craft, these worked but they would need too much work to look even decent, so I scrapped them.

Here is the second try with inox pipe and aluminium mounting plate, I'm going to keep it and tomorrow I'm going to finish it and connect it to the cable guide

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are more in line with the rest of the case, if I find a way to hide it I'll put a spring somewhere so when you remove the security pin it will open up by itself.

See ya

Last edited: 1 May 2020
  8. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

The weight will be like a cast iron bridge.:duh::clap::clap::clap::naughty:

Jean R built likes this.
  9. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

:hehe: No it isn't that heavy :grin:

In real life this module is relatively small, all parts together are about 45x40x120 mm right now, the tubes have a diameter of 10 mm and 100 mm in length so about 4 inches.

By keeping them in your hand, you can hardly feel the weight difference between the inox and the aluminium tubes of this size.

I'll post an update in the next days, truth be told it will be bigger but the bigger parts are made of aluminium so it should be a couple hundred grams, the project is really light probably an ATX PSU weights more than the full case right now.

A photo that might help understand the scale of the module, the big one is the part between the tubes seen in the last post.

[​IMG]

censored_Prometheus_ likes this.
  10. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all, so I was thinking about the edits I have done to the project due to it being bigger or mainly material problems.

So now I'm going to finish it closer to the original concept I have in my head and the drawings I made :hip:, like I did with most of it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two days ago I was finishing the external cable guide mounting plate, and I got an Idea :idea: to get the case closer to the original concept, so now I'm modifying it and by tomorrow the module should be complete.
    Here a couple of pics of the module, it is square but right now it's not screwed just clipped on the frame so in the photos it sits a bit funky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I was working on the top crown too for the mounting plate, I took the occasion to get it ready for the shells locking system.

So now the case is obviously not exactly the same as the first concept, and some proportions are not going to be the same, but it's going to look closer to the original concept and even better now.

More updates in the next days, Bye

censored_Prometheus_ likes this.
  11. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

You are doing and awesome aluminium work. It's very impressive!

Very impatient to see more updates!!! :thumb:

Jean R built likes this.
  12. Sa mod pc design

Sa mod pc design Minimodder

Wow very nice

Jean R built likes this.
  13. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Update, It took a bit more time to get everything perfectly square mostly because of the new handle but now it's all on and aligned.

I still haven't put springs in the moving parts, because I don't want to put them too strong for the needs of the project.

So when I was sure all the module parts were OK, I started to shave off unneeded metal Old School Yeah!!! :cooldude::grin:

[​IMG]

But I didn't weight the module before putting it on :hehe:, even if it's detachable it's not a 1 min job to do so, so I'll leave it on and tell you the weight of the full case when it's done but I assure you that it's light.

A shot of the case with the module on and the test PSU on, I wanted to make sure you could press the PSU switch with everything on.

[​IMG]

Here a Pic of the handle rotated, it's going to be the only way to be able to open the top fan module and have access to the I/O Ports and the Shell's locking screws

[​IMG]

Here a couple of Gifs I made of the moving parts, these are some static shots in sequence it does not move by itself, the shots could have been better but I didn't use my phone support, I didn't want to get it dirty.

IMG_20200509_195524-ANIMATION.gif

IMG_20200509_195905-ANIMATION.gif

Thanks all for the comments, more updates coming have a nice day.

IBMer, wpk136_STT, Dot_Kappa and 4 others like this.
  14. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Well technically speaking I do have some space problems, the module is not big.

That said it is possible indeed, I already have an Idea but it would influence the exterior design, and right now I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

16. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Well it was in the plan when the case was going to be smaller, I didn't give up to the idea of letting them move together.

The new shape was mostly a consequence of the handle evolution due to problems with the aluminium tubes, and crafting it this way reduced the space between the parts of the module.

I'll think about it anyway, but if I won't get a good idea I won't ruin what I have now, because now that it's on it's starting to grow on me.

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

While we are not easily tricked, I still like to dream.
    The handles look like that thin bracket metal might be a stress point. I would avoid using them to actually lift the case. They look fantastic, though. :thumb:

Jean R built likes this.
  18. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

:grin: I know, the majority of the people who read the posts in the project logs would get it by themselves, but it's already some years that I work as hotel receptionist, so I've got used to try to clear any possible doubts even before anyone ask about it :grin:.

As for the metal near the handle right now it's 1.5 mm thick and it's strong considering how light the case is, near the 3 base screws it's already 3 mm because the parts composing the main "L" are all riveted together, and it's very solid no flex present even under stress.

It's missing the last layer that will cover the top of the mounting plate, I could extend it to the fixed bolt of the handle if I notice that it flex under stress.

Today I started crafting the shells fixing plates so tomorrow when those are complete, I'm going to test the handle but It worked fine in the last few days.

There is only one problem, if I add springs to let it move by itself I would be forced to let the whole mechanism slightly loose, it does not have any bearings only stacked washers, so I'm not really sure I want to compromise solidity to let it move with springs but I'll look into it.

Last edited: 11 May 2020
  19. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

All done by hand?:jawdrop::clap:

Jean R built likes this.
  20. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

This work is a big inspiration for me well done!

Jean R built likes this.