Displays Having trouble with cable type...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trig, 29 Sep 2020.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

Recently replaced my AOC G2460PG and am trying to give it to my son. He is still rocking an old Samsung widescreen 1080P I bought over a decade ago...Anyway, the MSI Twin Frozr III has the dual DVI output (and apparently mini hdmi) and the AOC has a single 1.2 Display Port for connectivity. So far I tried this cable...twice...no dice....
    any help appreciated.

Keep in mind the monitor is "only" 1080P but does run G-Sync and 144 hz..

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

You want DVI/HDMI (they are cross compatible) to Displayport specifically. The cable you link to is the other way round and not bi-directional.
    Unfortunately because your GPU output type predates your monitor's only input achieving it is likely going to require some active electronics (which generally means more power and expense). This appears to be a fairly typical adaptor that should do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Adapter-Resolution/dp/B00JQORLCG/
    Then you'd just need a cheap passive DVI to HDMI or Mini HDMI to HDMI cable/adaptor.

Before this just double check that what appear to be mini HDMI aren't mini Displayports. The first Twin Frozr III I googled has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 mini Dispayport: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R6950_Twin_Frozr_III_Power_EditionOC/Specification

That would make things much simpler and cheaper.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2020
  3. trig

Thanks @wolfticket , I should have specified it was a GTX 570, but you sent me on the right path. It appears the devices I am finding like that are limited to 60 hz...so I think my best bet may just be to upgrade my card and pass the GTX 970 on to him...what do you think? hate to limit his 144hz monitor, and hate to pass up a "damn good" reason (that should convince the wifey, right?) to upgrade my gpu, although I would really like to wait and see what AMD has...guess I'll go EVGA, get a GTX 2060 Super and then use the step up program for a 3060 when they come out...sound like a plan?

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'd agree that spending money to get the 570 working in a non-ideal way is probably isn't worthwhile.
    Either replacing the GTX 570 with something budget minded but more modern that will have suitable connectivity and support G-Sync,
    ...or upgrading yourself ( :naughty: ) and passing down the 970, would both work and sound like good plans to me.

5. trig

for sure...just wish I knew what AMD had up their sleeve but they've let us down too often, and the kiddo is getting annoyed with the old monitor/card setup...I am for sure getting tired of waiting...Nvidia botched this ampere launch...I worry about taking a chance on a 2060 then trying to get a 3060, only to have bots grab them all and my timeframe for the step up runs out. well, thanks for the help wolf...