1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This is something I have actually wondered about. I was told by a friend that I "Grow good beard". But honestly when I started I had a bald patch under my chin. Like the size of penny. It was there. But several months to years of letting my beard grow and just trimming it, and that patch has gone! I thought beard was beard. But it seems if you let it grow, and just trip it, that it fills in.

Am I lucky or is this how beards work?

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Comes naturally to some people. My hair (facial and otherwise) is wiry and curly as hell... I keep my head hair trimmed short or it goes mental, and I have to use beard oil & balm every day, as well as grooming it every day, in order to keep it from going completely wild. But I've known people who do literally nothing to it other than get it wet a couple of times a week and they end up with a perfect-looking beard.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2020
  3. Fizzban

A shame. I've been asked about beards and I was tempted to say "just grow it out and stick with it". But I've never known. My Dad died before I got to learn, and now I get asked and I wanna be real. If it is luck then..sheeet.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

TBH it mostly is patience... even using 'products' you don't see a difference overnight, you need to be using the stuff regularly for several weeks to make a difference. And it does make a huge difference... I get zero dry skin or beard-dandruff thanks to using oil daily, and I can actually do something with this stuff hanging off my face for once! :grin:

The biggest mistake people make when trying to grow a beard is not looking after their face and facial hair. If you were trying to grow your hair out and make it look good you wouldn't just let it do its own thing and not wash or look after it properly... A good oil moisturises your face and prevents dry skin; washing your face properly helps keep everything clean; balms and similar soften the hair itself and make it easier to work with; regular grooming promotes new hair growth and helps hair grow in the right direction; moustache wax helps keep it out of your mouth; and so on...

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

By God, I thought the only reason to have a beard was to save the time from shaving ...now you nutters seem to be suggesting that shaving is the quicker option. Mental I say !

6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Pish and nonsense.3
    OK. if'n you want to be a hipster for sure go get oil and combs n ****, but if you want a proper manly beard just let it grow.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I like looking after my skin and hair. If you - or anyone - find an issue with that then I'm afraid that's entirely your issue to deal with ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯.

8. Fizzban

I don't want to give you guys more reasons to dislike me. I manage well enough on my own!

That said, I just grew the beard. I let this baby grow. I'd go a month or three and just let it breath. Then I'd trim that bad boy.

Shaving is now a bad dream.

No razor burn for me. No comments about not having shaved.

A real beard to me is life as a man. We ain't meant to be shaved monkeys, we look our best with a beard.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It is. Anyone that claims otherwise is just trying to justify their laziness.

I've not shaved for ages due to laziness (more laziness for still not having a mirror in the bathroom rather than laziness shaving) and have a voluptuous beard with zero effort on my part.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Skin n hair looked after itself for 1000's of years before the cosmetics industry, but hey you do you.

19 years n counting :brrr:

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I expect a lot of beards are genetic; I'm a Scotsman so ginger all the way, my mate is an overall hairy-***** bloke and he grows a proper thick one with no input, whereas my sister can't grow one at all.

mrlongbeard, show us your long beard.

adidan and perplekks45 like this.
  12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It's already on these forums 4 or so times.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Cool. So I can shave every day and constantly have cuts and sores on my face from razor burn; or I can grow a beard out and be 'less manly' for having to rely on lowly 'cosmetics' and grooming to avoid looking like a dishevelled hermit with severe psoriasis.

As I said earlier, your toxic masculinity is your problem not mine. Spending an extra 15-20 minutes a day to take care of yourself and in the process not have an ugly mess on your face doesn't make you un-manly, or 'less of a man', or whatever other ******** term people use to dress up abuse and insults.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

ROFL.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm just gonna disengage and let baby have his last word before I get myself banned. If I am gonna leave this forum then I'll do it on my own terms, and not because of someone else.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Jesus wept, I have a different opinion and point of view on a subject than yours, no need to throw all your toys out of the pram.
    You're never going to agree to my opinion, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I agree on using 'products', get over it and yourself and move on.

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Why are you two falling out over how each of you look after your beards?

Pete J and adidan like this.
  19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I can't grow a beard to save my life so I don't really have a horse in this race but I would say
    Didn't read to me as just disagreeing.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Because it's not about that. It's about this

It's this idea of 'manliness' and how to be a 'proper man', etc.

When you've struggled all your life - and continue to struggle - with body image, with never being good enough, never being 'manly' enough, or being just plain inadequate, you recognise toxic masculinity when you see it. Just because people don't realise what they're doing or don't do it intentionally doesn't make it OK. Bulls*** sprayed with air freshener is still bulls***.

I'm perfectly happy with how I look after my facial hair, I'm not the one who took issue with the suggestion of looking after yourself.