1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays old DVI display lags

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 18 Jan 2021.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Not a very serious issue here, just something odd
    I just finished to mount and install my new config (PC1 in my signature)
    I linked 2 displays on my RTX, one is a brand new one linked by display port, the other one is a 11 years old 19" DVI from Compaq.
    It may be explanable by the fact that my new config is too powerful and recent compared to this old display, but the fact is:
    when I click on any reduced windows from the notification area (taskbar), there are a few seconds of latency before it appears on the desk, and it looks like it strugging to display the proper resolution, so the windows are like a slurry mixture of pixels during 1 or 2 second, before it is correctly displayed.
    This is not happening on my new display of course, only on the old one that I choosed as my main display.
    Below there is a screenshot of a Firefox page before it appears properly :oldconfused:

[​IMG]

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

From the fact you can take a screenshot in software, I don't think the problem is to do with the display interface or age of your monitor.

But it only happens on the old monitor? What happens if you only have the old monitor plugged in? Or only have new monitor plugged in?

kim likes this.
  3. TechBuggy

TechBuggy What's a Dremel?

Care to share your PC specs? And your old display?

kim likes this.
  4. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for your reply wyx087, well, yes, it's only happening on my old Compaq display, linked via dvi, and even if I plug out the second new one, simptoms are similar; and if there's only the new display, linked via DP, everything's fine, hence I thought the guilt was from the Compaq, but I am not sure neither :oldconfused:

5. kim

kim hardware addict

:grin:
    PC1: Ryzen 5 3600xt/ Gigabyte aorus B550I proAX/16GB Aorus memory 3600Mhz/1TB Aorus nvme ssd gen4/ 1TB Gigabyte nvme ssd/ Nvidia-Geforce RTX 2060 super FE/ Bequiet SFX-L power 600w

the display is a Compaq W220q

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

A couple of questions: your monitor (according to a quick Google) is VGA only, and your GPU has DVI-D which would only work with a convertor block in the middle. Is that correct?
    Also, is the screen resolution correct, it should be (again, according to a quick Google) 1680x1050. Your screenshot looks a lot like that's not what its set at.

7. kim

kim hardware addict

thanks for your reply @noizdaemon666 , Yup :grin: that's correct, I use a convertor, I reckon I should probably buy a new display, I'm actually thinking about it seriously...
    Regarding the resolution, you're correct as well, I set it on 1680x1050, as recomended, but what you see on the screenshot is the state of the page during a second, before it becomes neat again...odd isn't it? :rollingeyes:

8. noizdaemon666

It is very odd! It could be convertor related. I'd just buy a new monitor, then you're not fighting with 11 year old tech.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quick way to find out would be to boot into a Linux live CD. If it does the same, it's the converter; if it doesn't, then there's something screwy in Windows.

kim likes this.
  10. noizdaemon666

Good idea! Though I reckon buying a new monitor is far more fun :p

kim likes this.
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion, You were right, there was something screwy in my Windows version, I bought a new version and installed it carefully, and all problems are gone, it's a real pleasure now and everything is fine, even on my old Compaq display.

yeah :rock: even if I am content actually, I will definitely purchase a new display :naughty: ... thought about the Gigabyte G27Q gaming monitor, as almost all the parts of the rig are from Gigabyte :happy: