1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Upcoming Rocket Lake Core i9 appears to run hot at stock clocks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 29 Jan 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Wouldn't worry about it too much.

I read all the horror stories about the 9900K before I got mine, in the end for normal day to day use and gaming, the temps never go above ~40c & ~70c respectively, and that's just using a modest BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 air cooler.

I've only ever seen it go above 80c in Cinebench runs and close to 90c in Prime95, which I only run about twice a year, so I don't see the point in stressing about temps.

I suspect a similar usage pattern for the 11900K would result in similar, perfectly safe, temps.

3. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Too early to say, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was a bit toasty. The design was on the asumption this would be a 10nm part not 14nm, I assume thats why they also had to drop 2 cores?

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Exactly that. 10nm isn't mature enough yet, so they had to backport to 14nm and thus drop two cores. This thing will run hot, take back the gaming crown (by a few per cent in random games) and be marketed to death.

Tags: Add Tags