1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress La Brezza - CM Cosmos II tower mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 6 Dec 2020.

1. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

It's a mind set that's been sold to the pc masses to gobble up like hungry pups through smart marketing.

IMO It's still cool.... to air cool :rock:

Such a clean pro look and i love the waterfall cables original and amazing:rock::rock: And the cheeky "Carbon" logo showing is a really nice touch.

2. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks!

Air is just so much easier on upkeep and to update. I'm not sure I'd water cool another personal build.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  3. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I like your case it's clean :thumb:, I like water cooling too, but like you said with air is more comfy to work on and move the case.

And besides liking a good air cooler look, I like that with air cooling you have to design well the airflow to make it work well, like you would with a water loop.

I had water cooling in the past in my HD 4870 with an E8400 constantly OC @4K+ Ghz era, that build needed the water cooling, and it wasn't quiet even with water :rollingeyes: but the temps were decent at least.

4. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! Yeah, I've run water on a few builds and it just makes it hard to change or upgrade anything, and that's the stuff I like to do, tinker around with it. And this one is definitely a challenge to get the airflow right!

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

So quickie update. I ran a few bench marks...and then I added that extra fan I bought!

With the small aperture that I'm running on the foils of the front panel, the single fan just wasn't cutting it for pushing air through. I thought volume would be a problem, turns out pressure is pretty important too!

[​IMG]

Did a little extra 'quality of life' surgery while I was adding the fan. I didn't change the look, but hopefully made it easier to work on in the future. You'll notice that the fans are now attached to the front panel itself. I did this because the only way to access them is either pull the shroud out, which requires disassembly of the entire case, or to pull the PSU and reach your arm through the shroud and unscrew everything blind. Let's just say the case isn't getting disassembled. I cut out where the fan was mounted originally so now they just slide in. I still have to reach through the shroud to unscrew the front panel for now, but I'm going to rework that in version two of the front panel with some tabs that mount on the bottom of the case.

And so, how is the cooling??? Not great at the moment.

[​IMG]

Playable-ish? But really lacking for the hardware. I dropped the power on the 2080Ti to 50% to keep it from throttling too hard and it still throttles hard. The CPU seems to be doing OK.

The current design of the front panel uses a gap of 1.3mm for airflow and even with the boosted pressure, it just can't force enough air through to do anything for the GPU. I'm updating the design of the front panel to: 1) be easier to assemble, test, and mount(tabbed parts and mounting tabs) and 2) widening the aperture to 3+mm to increase airflow/decrease back pressure. The original 1.3mm measurement came from a paper looking at the most efficient design of a bladeless fan but that's just not working in this application.

While these aren't the most spectacular results, the bladeless design being effective for overall case airflow is awesome and a good place to start!

Thanks for following along and next update hopefully I'll have even better results. Maybe I'll even compete with a gaming laptop in Time Spy! Hahaha!

Jean R built likes this.