1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Reuse GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abbo, 9 Nov 2020.

1. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

My current system has died and looking at upgrading/building a new setup.

I upgraded my GPU about 5 years ago, and to help with buying absolutely everything, wondered if it is still suitable to use?

The GPU model is - ASUS STRIX-R9 390-DC3 8GB

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/STRIXR9390DC38GD5GAMING/

If I can reuse, even for the time being, would be great.

Looking at the Intel i5 10600K and the Asus Z490-E Motherboard, and Phanteks Eclipse P600S Medium Tower ATX Case with Glass Panel (Black)

Already have Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz &
    WD_BLACK SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, with Heatsink

Thanks

Ade

2. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

No reason you can't re-use your GPU in a new system - obviously you are going to be GPU limited.

I know stock isn't that great right now, but if you can hang on a bit it might be worth looking at a 5600x and a B550 Mobo? (much better perf, would also save you some money)

Abbo likes this.
  3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

At like 1080p medium or thereabouts current games should still be playable on a R9 390.

Abbo likes this.
  4. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

Thanks. Even if I can carry on using my current GPU for a while will be a benefit. Certainly want to look at CPU and Motherboard options.

5. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

Thanks, and that will be more that good enough for the time being. Can then save for new GPU....

6. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

Thanks for your reply. Since posting this, I haven't really moved forward too much with the build, but as it looks currently, I am quite please I have a GPU I am able to use as it seems pretty much impossible to get any GPU's at the moment.

Have since got the i7 10700K, and Asus Rog Strix Z590 E Gaming Motherboard on preorder. Oh and also the Corsair H100i Cooler

That leaves PSU, Case, I think. I do have my existing Corsair HX10000W that's about 10 years old now, so contemplating using it, even initially?

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd upgrade the PSU too, as its not that expensive compared to everything else you're buying and at 10 years old that Corsair is aged and shouldn't be trusted. So many good PSU's aren't crazy expensive now too, just remember if you want something like a 3080 or more in the future it'll need to be around 850W odd...

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yeah, 10 is quite old for a PSU so I'd swap it on principle.

As for a case, quite hard to recommend anything because the selection is so bloody large... but if you want something decent for a lowish price with good cooling have a look at the BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX or the Phanteks P400 Air for example.

9. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

Thanks. As I was typing, the same thought was going through my mind, that PSU costs are too huge, but quite an important piece of kit to know works and is going to work! 850 was the size I was looking at. Maye the Corsair RM850i. Understand this is the model that runs a bit quieter? Still reading up on the differences.

10. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

Yeah, it's been some years since looking at cse review. I had read a review on the Phanteks P600S, so was going to look at other models they make. Will take a look at the P400 and the Be Quiet. Thanks