1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Rear M.2 cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legoman, 16 Mar 2021.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Bit of a niche one this. So case I have is plastic (Laser3d LZ7-XTD), only metal being standoffs, mounting holes and screws. Normal practice for the rear M.2 is thermal tape to the chassis to allow the metal to radiate heat.

Obviously plastic is not ideal, but if I stripped the rear drive back to mainly being for the OS, reckon it would be alright taped? I cant see a way to shoehorn any form of fan an short of taking a dremel to the case to allow a heatsink to be mounted, I'm stumped

Board in question is a Gigabyte X570i ITX, drive is a 500Gb 970Evo gen3

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Does it actually get warm/over heat? My MP510 isn't cooled and has been fine.

3. legoman

Its under a heatsink on my current board snugly sat between the graphics card and CPU socket getting next to no airflow an gets around 55c when being worked so, I guess it would be alright?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I think it's conducted heat from GPU and CPU. 55c is okay, I think upper limit is 70c. Check your SSD datasheet.

My MP510 gets no hotter than 55c, typically low 50's when gaming. It sits between GPU and CPU and I've installed a heatsink on it.

5. legoman

True its not exactly the most friendly environment for it

From Samsung's datasheet

"0°C to 70°C (Measured by S.M.A.R.T. Temperature. Proper airflow recommended)"

So I'm nice an snug there, I'll chuck it into the rear slot an see how it behaves. trying to keep the front free so I can be lazy with a future card if I get one, plus no card up front means better chipset cooling.

Interesting to see the thermal differences

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

55C is fairly ok because as memory serves the NAND IC's prefer to be arounf 35-45C for nominal operation, lower is actually degrading for them.