1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robocopy audio files

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MiernaMiki, 13 Sep 2021.

1. MiernaMiki

MiernaMiki What's a Dremel?

Sound recording company looking for a way to transfer 2TB audio files over WAN (100 km far away ), the source PCs included: windows 10 and the destination device: included (windows server 2019 ) . we need all the audio files(2TB) to be transferred in one time, then we need any changes or addition happens on the source to be transferred to the destination automatically without the need to transfer the whole file(2TB) again.

my colleagues recommended Robocopy but for sorry it is CLI-based, can't run automatically, and can't copy the modified files automatically.
    I didn't find help in the other communities , please help

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you want the files to synchronise on a schedule, then Robocopy (or rsync) will work just fine. Set up whatever the Windows equivalent of a cron job is to fire off every few hours, job's a good 'un.

If you want changes to synchronise automatically and instantly, then you want Syncthing. I use it to keep around 2TB of data synchronised, funnily enough, and it works a treat.

MiernaMiki likes this.
  3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Robocopy will work fine, you'll just need a scheduled task to start it should the machine restart for any reason. You'll need:

Code:
    robocopy source destination /S /MON:1 /XO /MT
    /S for non-empty subdirectories
    /MON:1 waits for one change to happen then runs again
    /XO excludes older files
    /MT runs as multithreaded to speed it up a bit

That should get you going anyway.

MiernaMiki likes this.
  4. MiernaMiki

Thanks, Gareth Halfacree & noizdaemon666
    I already checked the trials versions of Syncthing and tools like GoodSync and Gs Richcopy 360, My question is, How to make Robocopy runs automatically in scheduled tasks every day without needing to run the code manually every time like the mentioned tools with the option of copying the modified audio files only after transferring the whole data(2TB)?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

To schedule a task use task Scheduler which is an application that is part of windows.

MiernaMiki likes this.
  6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This one even goes through setting up robocopy with task scheduler to give you half a clue. :)

MiernaMiki likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's no trial version of Syncthing. There's just... Syncthing. It's free and open-source. Install it at both ends, add the directory on the source end, add the directory on the remote end - receive-only, if you don't want to reflect changes back again - and you're done.

MiernaMiki likes this.
  8. MiernaMiki

This means that the tested version of Syncthing is free and the tested version of GoodSync and Gs Richcopy 360 were a trials! this is good news, I think Syncthing is enough to start :happy: thank you