1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus TUF Pro X570 WiFi random halt/crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 11 Mar 2022.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

My Ryzen 5900X system running Windows 10 sometimes crashes during use - no blue screen, the first I know of it is the CPU fan spinning up to full speed suddenly and my two screens going blank. When I look at the mobo status light, an amber one is lit solidly - I didn't look closely, just through the glass from a short distance so I'm not sure which LED is lit. The system doesn't reboot itself and just stays in the aforementioned state, I have to either press the reset button or power off and on to reboot it.

As per title, the mobo is an Asus TUF Pro X570 WiFi.

According to the manual, the status lights are the Q-LEDs, with Boot being yellow green, VGA is white, CPU is red and DRAM is yellow, but I'm not sure what yellow green means for the Boot status - does it mean that the Boot status LED can be yellow or green?

To be clear, this isn't a boot issue, the system starts up fine, it's during use that the issue occurs.

Anyone have any idea what the issue is and what's causing it?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I had the same board with a 3950x. The only times it crashed were -

1. Before I had fully updated Windows and installed all drivers. Make sure in DM your devices are all installed, and the chipset driver and -
    2. RGB software. Remove all the software, including possibly this one

kim and giskard like this.
  3. giskard

giskard System builder

Thanks, devices are all okay and there's no RGB software other than what's part of the Asus software that came with the mobo.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If you're using the RGB part of the Armoury Crate software suite, it's way better than the crashy useless old Aura version.

5. giskard

giskard System builder

Hmmm, I haven't really touched the RGB stuff in the Armoury Crate suite, the only RGB in my system are the two Crucial Ballistix 16GB RGB modules which work with Asus Aura and the mobo itself which has a small area of RGB light on the RHS of the mobo, below the main ATX connector. I haven't used any software to change any settings for RGB.
    Wonder if the RGB part of the Ballistix is causing issues?

6. giskard

giskard System builder

I watched that video again and did find two Patriot apps, one for SSD and one from DRAM, despite me not having any Patriot hardware, so I;ve removed them, restarted my PC and am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thanks for your very useful reply :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Then that was a huge problem. For apps to access the RGB they have to go through BIOS, as explained in the video. If you have more than one app, of any sort, it will crash the PC. I usually set my RGB then just remove the bloody lot.

8. giskard

giskard System builder

My system crashed again moments ago, no BSD, just froze, no response from mouse or keyboard. I pressed the front panel reset button and then the fans spun up to full speed and the screen went blank. Opened the glass side panel (so glad I opted for that, best thing I did with my build) and took a pic of the Q-LEDs on the Asus mobo. As can be seen in the pics, it's the DRAM LED that's lit so I'm guessing the memory's the culprit.

I did run memtest on the PC after building it and before installing Windows and it completed fine, I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic but after 12 hours of an extended test it still hadn't completed so I had to cancel it.

I've just used Asus' Armoury Crate application to set the Aura profile to default and the only RGB devices on the mobo are the mobo's LED strip and the two Crucial Ballistix RGB RAM modules. I've also updated the chipset driver and other outdated drivers that Armoury Create detected, so I'll see how it goes but I've a feeling the RAM might be faulty.

I have another pair of Ballistix 16GB modules arriving soon to upgrade the RAM to 64GB, but I might just use them to replace the existing Ballistix RGB RAM and see if the crashing issue goes away.

Is it possible that switching off the RGB on those DIMMs might fix the issue?

Dram-LED 2022-03-15 17_14_18_CROP.JPG Dram-LED 2022-03-15 17_14_18_REDUCED.JPG