1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Monochrome

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman, 14 Jan 2023.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Not sure how far I'm going to mod this so may be some twists and turns along the way, also going to be a slow burner this.

Kits 90% decided and purchased so parts below, none of this is going to be bleeding edge but ample for my needs

Case Jonsplus i100 Pro Black glass side panels
    CPU 11400F
    Cooler Corsair H100i Capellix Elite white
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z590I
    RAM 32Gb 3600Mhz Corsair Dominator
    Graphics card Gigabyte Eagle 3060Ti
    PSU Corsair SF750

Missed of storage as I'm faffing on that likely a pair of M.2s I have an orphaned 1Tb which will go in the back as its a Gen3, the front supports Gen4 so I can leave that for now while I decide what to get.

Now onto the fun stuff, modding orders are in place just waiting or them to appear. First victim to be the graphics car. It has a rather boring grey casing plus its noisy. I have already deshrouded it ready for slapping a pair of 120mm fans on in place of the old stock fans.
    Bottom of the case has spacing for three 120mm fans (also in the roof but the AIO blocks the final one at present). With the help of some spacer bolts and some fancy offset rad brackets Lian Li make for the O11 series I can move the fans back to cover the whole of the heatsink, handy brackets they allow up to 30mm offset for the fans in 10mm increments, I need 15mm to get the fans perfectly aligned the the base of the GPU.
    Going to replace the backplate with something more in keeping with the motherboard, going for a combination of acrylic and aluminium while retaining the 3000 series flow through design.

Other mods will include a shroud for the fans to hide them away, possible change to the roof exhaust/dust cover, possibly the plate on the AIO as well.

Not one for quality photos but I shall try mean time heres an attempt at an arty photo with my phones rear in fill light
    [​IMG]

Arboreal and yuusou like this.
  2. legoman

Small update.

Tried the offset fan brackets, fitted on some 30mm screws which need to be about 8mm shorter as they stick out a far bit from the bottom which prevents the dust filter slotting into place. Dust filter is a must as the fans are pulling from outside the case. I'll cut and clean the thread up on them soon, easiest option.

Screws are also on a black nylon spacer washers which are currently correct height wise, ignoring the bit sticking out under the case

So, fans are now moved back 20mm cover the GPU fully, Very neat coverage, just a nightmare to fit with the tolerances as it is all the exact right size.

[​IMG]

Next job will be some carboard fibre mocking up a shroud, as mentioned in the last post I'll retain the more modern flow through on the end, core end though I need to make sure the heat is not going to stagnate, it needs to escape and carry on up and away so some form or slot gap closer to the left side of the GPU but not in a way that means any hot air is re drawn in. In other words, as high up as possible. So I'll see what level of weirdness I can come up with.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That phone lighting, to quote Ultravox "It means nothing to me" :lol:

That Z590i Vision is a really good looking, capable and unusual board.
    You're the second person here that's put an i5 1400F in it which looks to be a really powerful combo if you wind up the wick on the power levels. If I hadn't bought other Ryzen kit recently, I'd really be up for that pairing, especially as the white accents on the coolers really are unusual.
    Those offset fans look really well placed, Arctics if I'm not mistaken. With a helping of CoffeNcream on eth side!

4. legoman

Yeah the fans are Artics bar the Noctua, not sure what fans I'll go with in the end, you wont see them in theory so don't need RGB.
    An the board is a very interesting combo, compared to the bulk of the very edgey and dark boards. I've not even fired this up yet so hopefully it all works!

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Apologies if I'm being a pedant but it may be worth experimenting with the gpu fan distance to the GPU heatsink if it's possible/not too much hassle -
    the fans blowing up into the GPU heatsink might cool better if positioned lower, with ducting between fans and the GPU to avoid the hub deadspot.

This is an interesting set of tests for shroud effect:

http://martinsliquidlab.petrastech.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Wow. I didn't think those tests still existed on the net. 6 of the 7 companies on the bottom of the page don't exist anymore.

7. legoman

Thats not a bad shout, certainly worth looking into.