Case Mod - In Progress Tag Mclaren.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 16 Jul 2023.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK just got over. Tested what I can, PSU seems to work fine. Wee bit noisy though so I got this coming tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I would have ordered it before, but I wasn't sure whether it was 10mm or 20. Turns out it is 20.

2. keef247

keef247 Modder

Nah man Kodi literally was 'XBMC' Xbox Media Centre, a standalone dash for modded original xboxes, it could do everything from play divx 720p, photos, web browser, enable ntsc 1080i/720p via component, boot homebrew, emulators, games, backup games, stream music, change fan control, led colours, region unlike dvds, rss feeds you name it... It was so good it became it's own thing without needing an xbox, then was renamed Kodi and modded to work on droid etc.

It was way ahead of it's time, pretty awesome though it was created for the xbox scene.

3. Vault-Tec

I'm not talking about Kodi. Not in the part you reference. I am talking about LibreElec.

4. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Aye, it is. It was in the WIKI. They don't have an About page, and I hadn't looked at the WIKI yet.

OK. So today I took the new used DVD drive apart, modded the power button again and sorted the LED.

[​IMG]

I could immediately tell the side rails were thinner. Few measurements later proved this point. It was pretty much the same width as the opening. Which is sort of good but not good. As such when you put the drive in it likes to get stuck. Once lined up to the .mm? it works, but good luck ever getting the drive mounted right in that position. So I filed out the opening. Given it didn't need much I put on my brave big boy pants and yeah, filed it out. I then finished up the drive mod.

[​IMG]

And that is ready to go.

Cheapskate likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

OK so today I was going to be doing the floor. Note - was.

I realised that Houston had a problem last night.

[​IMG]

I wondered where the strange 2 pin only cable came from a few weeks ago when it refused to go into a PC power supply. *sigh*.

[​IMG]

Just one problem. The socket I have (left over from a case) is too wide. So I need to file that down.

[​IMG]

With that out of the way I did something a bit more fun.

[​IMG]

Yaka and Cheapskate like this.
  6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I knew Houston had a problem for years. :lol:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

8. Vault-Tec

BTW that hole near the "Class 1 laser product" is going to be the hole for the wifi antenna.

The Noctua fan is out for delivery. So later I will fit that into the PSU, as well as finishing the socket to internal connector. It was far too long and the angled part did not fit through the adapter plate. So I cut it off. I *think* I have an angled "fit it yourself" one, but I am not sure which direction it goes in. If it is the wrong one? I will just solder a straight one back onto it. I brought one with me.

9. Vault-Tec

So getting that socket shaved down has sliced my fingers to pieces. I could not find the body of the stanley knife so I did it with the blade only. As such most of it is covered in blood now. Also, I snapped a bit earlier and then the part let go. So not off to the best starts.

Pleased to report it continued.

The fan came. They include this thing you connect to the connector for the original fan. They give you these press clips, I didn't like that idea so I soldered it.

[​IMG]

Lots of messing around later.

[​IMG]

And.

[​IMG]

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNot.

Jumped the pins and the fan just sat there juddering. Totally refusing to spin at all. This worried me, as this is an incredibly small PSU. So I plugged the soldering iron back in, at which point the entire end of it decided to fall out and burn a massive hole in my rug. Pulled it out with some pliers, took the entire f*****g PSU apart again and hacked into a 12v line.

[​IMG]

What an absolute ball ache.

10. Vault-Tec

Evening session turned out to be far better. First job was sort the wifi.

[​IMG]

I braided the power button in last night's evening session. Haven't put on any shrink at the button end yet, as I don't know if the button will need to come out.

I then modified both ends of the old power connector from an ITX case thing. The goal here was to have it use as little space as possible.

[​IMG]

Mission accomplished on that then.

[​IMG]

Hopefully it will have a floor in it tomorrow.

11. keef247

keef247 Modder

This is coming along very nicely mate :naughty:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Cheapskate

I'm gonna say it: The bathroom rug is a horrible work surface. :lol: You should have a sacrificial slab of wood or something. My personal dremel crap-catcher is an old ceramic coated washing machine lid.
    -I feel like I've told you this before. :worried:

13. Vault-Tec

It's not a bathroom rug lol. It was dark blue, it has faded.

Yeah, I know dude. I guess I got lazy. Thankfully it is hessian backed and nothing went through to the berber under it. I am due a new one any way, as it has taken some coolant spills etc too.

14. Vault-Tec

15. No X

No X Minimodder

Hi Looking good.

With Carbon fiber make sure you have enough ventilation it insulates.

16. Vault-Tec

I had a session last night. No idea why. Managed to crack out some of the wiring on the front panel. It needs another mod, will get onto that later. It's for the IR receiver.

Whilst playing with it yesterday in this pic I noticed something. I noticed that a piece of 6mm acrylic slides in under the locations I have marked.

[​IMG]

So I designed this last night.

[​IMG]

Out of 6mm. That way it can be stuck to the top of the drive, the whole thing can slide under those tabs and be drilled/tapped through them into the acrylic and then screwed in to hold the drive down very firmly.

17. Vault-Tec

And they're off.

[​IMG]

Last night I soldered in the eject button wire and the power LED.

[​IMG]

They are male and female so I won't get them wrong. I then had a thought. Why would I need a power LED? as soon as it switches on the whole damn screen is going to come on LOL. So, I am going to use that as the DVD LED.

18. Cheapskate

That carbon comment came out of left field. VT definitely doesn't have the workspace for something that dangerous.
    -Going further off-topic: I've been told abalone milling dust is equally nasty.

19. Vault-Tec

Aye. No carbon here :D that's only for rich people :D

OK so that's that done.

[​IMG]

Will sort that in a bit.

I have also decided to ditch the 3D printed light thing. I found a big bit of white 5mm earlier left over from Modular, so I am going to make one from that. In the pic above in the last post (the last one) you can see I kept the original TMC backlight driver board. Will play with that in a bit. Hoping to reuse that.

20. Vault-Tec

I forgot to note. I can't braid the PSU. Not because I don't want to, but because the paracord I bought is far too skinny. I can not get my sleeving tool through it, so have had to pull it manually just to do the wires I have done. Which takes about 30 minutes per wire, and not 30 seconds. As such I will leave it. I will be shortening the 24 pin and using my connectors, though.

I have now gone down a bit of a rabbit hole. I was going to use the cover that was over the CD control board on the PSU. However, it is scuffed and scratched and too big. I would also have to do some quite severe cutting to it, and it would always say it was a CD player. As such I am doing my own.

A while ago a friend of mine wanted some new decals for his BMX. So I custom drew and made him some.

[​IMG]

You may be wondering what that has to do with this. Well, that stuff is brushed silver foil. So I will basically draw and then print my own, and cut a cover from 3mm acrylic before sticking said thing to it.

The hard part was getting the graphics. That was a real ball pain. They don't exist. So, I had to run it through the scanner to end up with this.

[​IMG]

Problem is it looks like bum. As such when you try and convert it into a vector it destroys it. So, I had to draw the logo tracing that.

[​IMG]

The problem being it is still technically too small. So I had to convert it into an EPS, blow it up and then clean it again and *then* turn it into a vector.

I have now scanned this. For no other reason than to grab the colours from.

[​IMG]

And shall continue. I have IDed the font on it, so it is time to create and print a newun.

IanW and Yaka like this.