Build Advice New build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrlongbeard, 24 Nov 2023.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It's been many a mono since I looked at components so I'm well out of date.

Looking to spend £500-600, need MoBo, 1 - 2tb M.2, 32gb RAM, Processor and maybe an AIO.

What's good nowadays, mobo doesn't need wifi, AM4 or AM5 as I'd prefer AMD over Intel?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

mrlongbeard likes this.
  3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I would take the AM5 build and upgrade the CPU in a couple of years.

mrlongbeard likes this.
  4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Good points, with AM4 on the way out it'd be daft to go down that road and have to upgrade the mobo next time

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

To be fair I don't remember ever buying a CPU upgrade for a PC. What I mean is, by the time I wanted a new CPU the board I had etc was woefully out of date.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I did it with my present PC. Built it in 2018 fitting an R7 2700, then 2 years ago fitted an R7 5800X, which gave it a good kick up the backside.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I think Ryzen is the only tech it was worth doing it with tbh. I mean, why would you go from say a 2500k to a 2600k? it was pointless. Kinda like me with my 12700KF. What is worth replacing that with? nothing. Even the 14900KF would offer me practically nothing in real world terms.

I would still buy AM4. Only the 5800X3D, though. And I certainly wouldn't replace it before the board too.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I need to do that with mine at some point - I'm still running the 2700X I built it around.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Assuming AMD don't stitch am5 owners up like they did with threadripper owners... and tried to with am4 owners... or have we all forgotton the zen 3 compatability ***********?

Yes, you're probably more likely to get a drop in upgrade than equivalent intel system, but never buy on the promise of what may come. Bc it also may not.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Purchases made :clap:

Byron C, fix-the-spade and adidan like this.
  11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

For now at least I think they learned their lesson. Although HEDT is weird, anything can happen with that.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2023
  12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It lives.
    It took me a while to get around to it, but hey ho nothing to do on boxing day so after I ran out of lego to the PC parts pile I went.

And it wasn't a total ball ache but getting the RAM to a freq where it wouldn't lock up and cause 2 minute boots was a pain in the ho har, so EXPO is out of the window and manually set at 5200 will do for me.
    Also glad I get a CPU with onboard graphics as it makes trouble shooting a smidge easier with being able to remove a discreet GPU from the mix.

Only forgot to plug one thing in, AIO tach cable, but had to remove the ruddy radiator to fit it.

Byron C, IanW, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've had the same thing with RAM timings, I guess it is technically OC'ing but its frustrating its not more of an established standard now!