Motors Seen anything cool on the road lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by docodine, 2 Aug 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Aye, what I meant was it isn't either of those :D

I've had a brain fart and forgot the name, but @Arboreal will know.

Arboreal likes this.
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Westfield is one of the other prominent ones.

3. Vault-Tec

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

The Zero is impressive, I drove it a couple of years ago and it's a rocket. The throttle pedal is non linear so you get the last 50% of the power in the last 25% of travel, making it more civilised to drive round town.

I wouldn't like to be out in the wet with it. I Repeatedly pirouetted and couldn't control a Caterham on a track day in the rain 20 odd years ago!

The Zero is Sierra based with a 1990s 2.0L RS2000 engine. The original fuel injection didn't fit under the bonnet, so it has bike throttle bodies and a custom megasquirt system.
    He even squeezed a cleverly designed heater in for those cooler days, great engineering.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I sat in a Caterham once, at the NEC when it still held an annual motor show. The driver’s footwell was much too narrow for my gurt feet and, there was no way I could drive it but, that was before they launched a wide body version

6. Vault-Tec

I felt so bad...

I had been nagging him to take me out for a rip in it. Problem is I usually go in October. As such it is usually raining. Well this time he dragged off the cover, opened the garage and had it waiting outside (weather was lovely). Problem was that day I had a bad case of quack bum and didn't want to poop all over his seats.

So I have still yet to go in it. Bah.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The Zero is a pretty impressive kit, I nearly built one a few years ago when I had a crusty Mk1 MX5.

Biggest problem for me is the uninspiring engine - an NC-based kit using the Duratec would be much more fun.

8. Mister_Tad

Easily the best thing I’ve ever seen on the road this morning in the Peak District:

- 911 Dakar
    - Rothmans livery
    - Fully loaded roof cage
    - Absolutely caked in mud

Love it, especially with the number of those that will spend their entire life in an air conditioned garage or parked up in Chelsea.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  9. Mister_Tad

Picked up wife’s new NX today and they had this glorious machine in the same green/tan as hers.

[​IMG]

His and hers Lexii? The want is strong.

Arboreal, David and Byron C like this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Given the money, I could have a hankering for one of those but, not in that dismal colour...

11. Mister_Tad

Selecting any of the colours offered that aren’t this or yellow shows a remarkable lack of imagination :p:

Byron C likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Yellow I could go with but, I wouldn't order a new car in any shade of green.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Gotta say, I think that green looks fooking lovely.

Byron C likes this.
  14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

While it's fantastic to be sat in and the smiles per hour are going off the chart, the styling is very marmitey. I'm in the nope camp, it's a bit overstyled and, while it stands out, it ain't pretty. But then I wouldn't mind a blast in one. Just the once! That sweet V8, like candy floss for your ears.

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Get on that, looks awesome, great sonorous, NA engine, treat yourself, as always I've got a fiver ready for your Porker :D

16. Mister_Tad

Ah, about that… I no longer have a Porsche. Sold it last week. Graciously, I got at least a tenner for it.

IanW, Arboreal and sandys like this.
  17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd have gone up to at least 15

Byron C, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  18. Mister_Tad

I carwowed it, got quite a few decent offers, really decent actually. Slick service, no fuss with cash in the acct in just a couple days from listing, would definitely use again.

I would say I’ve been thinking of selling it since before Christmas, but really I’ve been thinking of selling it since I bought it. Was about to sell the Lotus before and had a few decent offers, since at that point I had decided I didn’t really particularly yearn for a sports car any more, but then got distracted with a particular blue Porsche and had a better trade offer instead.

It was the right time to do it now because it would likely need some money spending on it by the summer that would have made it no longer a cash neutral proposition, never mind the 911 market possibly cooling off a little. Plus it handily and decisively fills a Lexus shaped hole on the piggy bank, not quite enough left over for another one… but still I need to keep reminding myself of why I sold it, because I neither need nor want an LC, but the idiot child side of my brain doesn’t always listen.

IanW, sandys and Arboreal like this.
  19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Currently suffering this while I see the cost of the correct option corolla hybrid is about the same as a used GR Yaris. They also announced the new GR Yaris which I could afford but it would be a shocking financial decision.

20. Mister_Tad

This is funny because I was thinking maybe if I had the urge to scratch the sports car itch I get a GR Yaris because it’s cheap and cheerful and turns out it’s just cheerful.