1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite book

Discussion in 'General' started by fg0d, 5 Jun 2004.

1. fg0d

fg0d Banned

Lots of people read plenty, probably everyone on BT. So I want to post a pic of your favorite book and why its your favorite. Heres mine:

"Hole in My Life" by Jack Gantos [Amazon]
    [[​IMG]
    This may seem as a childish book, but I had just ripped any ole book from the shelf and happened to get this book. It's about Jack Gantos, a striving writer that needs to raise money to go to college and get off St. Croix island because there is racial tension. So he smuggles a boat of hashish with his dad's coworker that sid they were shipping ceramics. Then he was forced to jail without his partner, the brain of the smuggling scheme. He was told he needed to serve 6 years. The prisions X-ray tech left so he took over and got a room of his own, far from the vioilence. I think this book is great because he faces jail, rape, and goes to college and becomes a great writer after all.

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
    [​IMG]

It's an autobiography and in my mind the best book I've ever read. I don't know where to start other than to tell you that it's funny, sad, disturbing, uplifing and many more things all at once. The story starts with the tragic death of Dave's parents one after another in only 1 months, he is left to look after his younger brother "Toph". His mother dies a slow, painful death of stomach cancer, the way he writes about it, as strange as it sounds, is both harrowing (obviously) but also laugh-out-loud funny it almost makes you feel guilty but this is obviously a fragile way of dealing with such peverse and devastating events in life.

The book progresses and follows he and his young brother Toph moving, you could say running, away burning up there inheritance money and just scraping by to try and find a new existance. Eventually he starts his own counter-culture magaizine "Might", named because of the implication of "both power and possibility". Throught the book he analyises people, and at one point Toph breaks from his roll and provides analasis of Dave's motives for writing the book! Nothing is left uncovered, nothing is left out for the sake of nicety and nothing is sacred.

It's the most refreshing, moving and perspective shifting book and I selfishly wouldn't recommend it to anyone and if you do read it, you'll know why, it just feels so damn personal.

Anyway, i'm waffling, just read the damn book m'kay. :thumb:

3. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Best book I've read yet is The Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman. Yes, it's a "children's book" but its an interesting story and really well written. It's the first part of the triliogy "His Dark Materials", and once you've read the first one you'll read the other two.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Anything by Terry Pratchet really - inparticular the Truckers/Diggers/Wings series!

5. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

DISCWORLD!!! Those books are pure gold! :D

6. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

Actually, what few people realise is that the His Dark Materials trilogy is certainly NOT meant for children, despite the constant (incorect) comparisions to Harry Potter.

But yes, those books really rock! :thumb:

7. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

8. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

hitch hikers guide to the galaxy tbh ;)

9. -=ByteMan=-

-=ByteMan=- What's a Dremel?

My favorite book is 'Magician' the first book of the 'Riftwar Series' by Raymond Feist. The entire siries is brill IMHO :thumb:

10. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

terry pratchett is a god :D

only got like 5 diskworld books left to read \o/

and the truckers/diggers/wings series is great.

i must say tho, carpet people is by far my fav book of his

11. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Read it on holiday in February in under a day and thought it was fantastic.

-Sam

12. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 23 Apr 2016
  13. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

Tokyo Suckerpunch
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
    the Myth and M.Y.T.H. books
    Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson
    Schroedinger's Cat trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson
    Masks of the Illuminati By Robert Anton Wilson (see a pattern...)
    Hitchhiker's rules too

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Im surprised to be the first, but...

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkien

Fantastic books! No doubt in my mine the best story ever told.
    Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy would be a second, but not a close one :)

15. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Up until last month, I hadn't read a whole book since I was about 14. I'm now 22. Tragic I know, but things have now changed. Since starting my new job I spend nearly two hours a day on the train, and I've got to do somethign in that time. Only thing is, on top of the £170pcm train-ticket, I'm also spending a load on books as I get through one a week (well, 5 days) at the moment.

Favourite that I've read so far has got to be Black Ice by Matt Dickinson. Antarctic adventure with twists, and a fight for survival. Absolutely gripping. SO much so, I missed my train stop! :blush:

16. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. If you haven't read it, read it - if you've read it before, read it again. Card's probably my favourite author, and this in my mind is his masterpiece.

17. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I'm half way through it at the moment, though I'm waiting for the end of my degree to finish it.

VERY well written and very funny. I don't read much, but found this very easy to read, and hard to put down.

8-ball

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm sorry to be so predictable, but it's got to be The Whole Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy series; it's simply the most excellent stuff I've ever read as far as fiction is concerned tbh. If you haven't read it, buy, borrow, or steal a copy (only steal from a bookshop though). A must read piece. NB: If you've got to reading the 4th one (So long and thanks for all the fish) and can't be bothered because it's a bit boring/lovestory then stick with it because Mostly Harmless and the end of that one are excellent. :thumb:

19. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I'm also a big fan of Tom Clancy books. Very well written and for the most part, technically accurate, which I appreciate.

Rainbow Six is a very good book, as is red storm rising (essentially world war 3)

8-ball

20. penski

penski BodMod