1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 2408WFP, Displayport and Power Save Settings

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by djDEATH, 1 Sep 2009.

1. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

Ok, i work for a large company, in IT, and recently have deployed a number of new monitors to our users, namely 2408WFP 24" Widescreens from Dell.

I have run one of these on my laptop (E4300) in dual display (extended desktop) mode for some time with no issues, however, recently i used the second DVI-D port to connect another PC on my desk, when changing imnputs from the DVI-D 1 (my laptop) to DVI-D 2 (the Optiplex 755) then my laptop thinks the display has been disconnected and moves the entire desktop over to the laptop screen. Switching back to DVI-D 1 on the monitor then reconnects it so that it extends back onto the two screens, but loses my settings (the laptop is on the left, and it connects it as though the laptop is on the right again).

I'm IT support, so this doesn't really bother me, but is a pain.

So we have deployed these monitors to a number of CAD users upstairs, where their setup is an Otiplex 760 (with a low-profile radeon 3470 with native dual displayport) and given them two monitors: 2408WFP and an existing 1707FPt, the problem arises when the computer sends the monitors to sleep, the guys come back from lunch, move the mouse and only the 17" screen wakes up - not only that, but it has removed the 2408 from the display config, so all their apps have moved over to the 17" screen. We have a mixture of some of them using the 24 as their primary (where the taskbar is) and some using the 17", all have the same issue.

I can re-create this using the same hardware (2408, 1707 and optiplex 760) down in the IT room, change power settigns to switch off monitor after 1 min, then when try to wake up - the 17 wakes up - but the 24 doesn't.

Sometimes, when the PC has been switched on, only the 17 works. Similar as before, going through the windows options can switch it back on, but the power save settings just ruin it again.

There arte two workarounds:

1: change windows power settings to never switch off the monitors (against all our sustainability and GP settings)

2: ONLY use the 2408 in a single monitor configuration (which defeats the point of having discrete graphics cards and dual displays for CAD technicians)

Initially, we thought we had fixed it by running direct displayport cables from the 3470 to the 2408's, but after a couple of days running , the guys have reported the same issues. Googling the web i found these threads:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-257710_15_0.html
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/755930-dell-2408wfp-stuck-power-save.html
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/troublesh...408wfp-flickering-power-saving-mode-woes.html

....there are many more by googling "2408 problem power save"

my question to you guys is, how does the displayport differ from DVI standard? It seems to me that there is some sort of active management built in to the display, that means that it sends differing signals down to the host PC, depending on what input is selected on the monitor and what is connected to the various inputs (as above, switching inputs often disconnects the first input as far as the host PC is concerned, and only going back to it will wake it up again)

I have not had any issues like this before, and despite the displaport references (i believe this is where the issue lies ultimately) we can re-create the same issues using a 2400XT low profile with dual DVI via a splitter.

We are going to be logging a support and replace call with dell this afternoon, but i wanted to know if anyone else here has similar issues, especially as i know bit-tech staff all use Dell monits (20, 24 and 30) and undoubtedly have a great experience with differing hardware that may be of use here....

Any help appreciated.

For info:

Windows XP pro (from dell supplied X-image) on all machines, except my laptop which runs Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 32 bit - joined to the domain with all GP (group policy) same as XP machines)

2. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

ok here is a video of me coming back from lunch, and trying to get my 2408 to wake up ... i have shown as much detail as i can - but i'm using a W302 walkman phone which is by far not the greates video recorder!!!!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AIXKT9BC