1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8-pin power extender

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tizz0r, 5 Oct 2004.

1. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

just got my new SuperMicro 742T-550B case with an Iwill DK8N mobo, and the 8-pin power connector on the PSU that came with the SuperMicro case doesn't quite reach where it needs to go. I'm looking right now, and I found one, but they want $32 for it. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get an 8-pin power extender. I'll keep looking too, but any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If you're confident in your handywork, you could chop the existing plug off and splice a bit more wire in. Total cost, 8 bits of wire (off an old PSU?) and 8 bits of heatshrink. As long as the joins are neat (which is where the heatshrink comes in) and you don't mix the wires up it'll be good as new, and you won't have an ugly lump of connectors half way down the wire.

3. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

you know I was thinking about that, but the cost for the iron would've been more. Though it would be a nice investment.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Just don't go for the cheapest soldering iron you find. I just did that and the thing's fecking useless, barely melts solder, let alone heats anything else up :(

5. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

I use an elcheapo 45 watt iron.. Long as the tip is in good shape, should be more than enough..

A smaller diameter wire makes things easier too..

I definatly suggest getting a set of helping hands (small device with clips to hold your wires together). They make life so much easier..

-scoob8000