1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays A new monitor suggestion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elspuddy, 2 Oct 2016.

1. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

Yo, I'm doing some research in to a new monitor to replace my ageing lg 32" tv and 22" lg monitor , I was thinking of getting an asus predator x34 but I don't real want to pay out £1000 for a new monitor is there anything about the £500 mark that's good for gaming and is about 32"+ and ultra wide ?

My PC specs are i7 6700k Asus z170 pro gaming , 16 gig ram, evga 1080 gtx

2. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

I'm currently going through the same thing.

I've come to the conclusion of going for the Asus ROG swifty.

But if the lower blue light and higher refresh rate, g-sync aren't something you need then the £700 Samsung seems the next best option imo. For £500 you'll get a great 4k monitor but you need to go to £700+ for a good ultra wide curved.

It's worth noting about the backlight problems that seem to be around with the curved, but I don't intend to watch movies on mine just high immersion gaming. But for movies with lots of dark scenes it could be annoying.

There's a good VA panel one out there somewhere I'll file through me custom PC mags, they did some reviews a couple issues ago

Last edited: 3 Oct 2016
  3. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

After some fondling, it seems the only viable sub £500 is the AOC U3477PQU, its not curved but is super wide, has an IPS panel and 60hz refresh. It has some decent reviews online but the people reviewing seemed to have nothing to compare to so that seems worthless.

The Samsung I was on about is the VA Panel £669 Samsung S34E790C 60hz curved super wide goodness.

Neither have g-sync, the AOC isnt amazing for gaming, where as the Samsung is built well for it and the VA gets ride of that IPS backlight problem and has crazy high contrast but a narrower viewing angle.

Hope this was helpful and good luck in your choice!

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I would personally look to avoid 4k, Unless your intrested in spending 1080 money yearly to play the latest titles on it.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-32...2-/p2541121?navAction=jump&_requestid=3856337

I have one of those and it's well worth considering. It does 70hz over DP on my Titan X which gives it an edge over similarly priced monitors, has a reasonable sound quality and with adaptive Vsync is quite awesome for gaming. You also don't have any incompatibility issues that super wide can bring and the price is fantastic.

It's the same screen a couple of other makers use (like BenQ) only theirs are over £500.

6. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

The monitor has free-sync, does it not bother you that you can't use the feature since you're using it with Titan X. Would it be better to be using it with a g-sync monitor.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If he swapped the monitor but then at some point changed to an AMD card he would have the exact same problem again, just in reverse.
    Someone really needs to find a way to produce a monitor that supports both...

I've gotten lucky in the backlight lottery, so I'm happy with my AOC, although the 60hz limit is starting to bug me more and more...

There is actually a 34" 3440x1440 75hz that is around the £500 mark (at least at Overclockers, other shops seem hell bent on extorting every last penny for it),
    http://www.iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-xub3490wqsu-b1/

Now if only LG made a 100hz G-Sync version of their new 38" monster:worried:

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

G-sync monitors carry a huge premium, though. I'd already spent over £500 on a 4k G-sync monitor and whilst G-sync was nice higher frame rates are nicer.

I am using Nvidia's adaptive sync which seems to be working so well that I can not tell the difference.

I won't let it sway my decision to buy another monitor though that's for sure. I'm sick of being held to ransom by it all.

9. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Just wondering though. I got a 144Hz g-sync monitor and I can't see myself getting a free-sync monitor any time soon.