1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute best ISO burning utility?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattthegamer463, 19 Jul 2007.

1. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Nero & Power ISO are both good for me :)

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Nero 7 Ultra Edition works fine with Vista, and seems to be burning fine for me. I've had much better luck with this than with Nero 6. but I've also switched to better quality media, as others have suggested you do.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i had just read about it (from the amarok site) and could be intersting depending on how well its implemented

4. Laky

Laky What's a Dremel?

I use PowerISO. I've found it to be reliable, FWIW.

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I just recieved my order of Feisty Fawn from the Ubuntu folks today, so I figured now would be a great time to try out Ubuntu DVD image burning. There was an immediate and fatal error when it attempted to burn. Unfortunately, the only remaining culprit is my drive. Any good way I can definitively test that my drive is dead?

PS I tried the Starforce removal stuff, I did have a starforce infection, but removing it didn't cure my problem.

6. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I used CloneCD to burn most of my images (xbox 360 backups) DL + R and I have had a 100% success rate! :clap:

Another point ot make is that I have also used nero and been very successful with it. Recently however I have burnt a windows Vista Ultimate (MSDN) DVD with it and it just failed with Imation media :wallbash: (Which up till now worked). I then burnt it with TDK media and it worked first time. I guess the point of this is make sure you are using good quality media. Yes it is slightly more exspensive but it will work out the same if not cheap, once you burn all the coasters with the naff media.

7. bartle

bartle What's a Dremel?

I use magiciso to burn iso file to dvd dl. it works fine for me.
    http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm

8. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

My original DVDR drive occasionally throws up things like "power calibration error" even if using decent media that it's had no issue with previously..

I just re-flash the firmware, and it usually fixes the prob!

- Might well be worth checking for any updated firmware for it - I'm using a hacked one which adds support for unrecognised disk types. (Original firmware wouldn't write to newer 4x and 8x disks)

9. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Your burner is bonkers.....face the fact. :sigh:

I've been using k3b in Ubuntu and it has been flawless. I've burned CD and DVD .iso's, made music CD's and the like and it is fantastic. Time to break down and get a new burner......sorry, bro. But hey, you can get a nice Samsung 18x DVD burner with Lightscribe (kinda cool, but kinda slow too) for $35-40 US shipped. Blow the dust off your wallet and hop to it.:thumb:

10. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Unfortunately, removal of starforce will not fix your drive if thats what has caused the errors. Starforce caused the effected burners to become unrepairable iirc.

Have you seen slowdowns in reading and writing before the errors too?

11. mattthegamer463

Ok thanks for all the help. Ill need to scout out a new DVD drive pretty soon, this one was the only one that had DL burning abilities (the new one I bought for my new PC which cost me MORE than this older one DOESNT have it! I hadn't noticed at the time) so I actually need one now.

This one still seems to read fine though would it be safe to leave it in as my reader drive (its still fast) or could it cause damage to a new drive?

12. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

What make/model is it? Are you sure you didn't order an older model by mistake, 'coz drives which don't support DL are fairly uncommon nowadays?

It'll have absolutely no effect whatsoever on your new drive ;)

As for a new drive: I can heartily recommend Pioneer (they've not long released a new model - the 212D), +/or NEC (I think the 7173 is still the newest?) :thumb:

13. mattthegamer463

Thanks for the post Haz.

The new one I bought is a Pioneer DVR-112D, which at the time I was told was the new one out (newer than the 111D I was looking at) and for $60 I didn't read the specs and assumed it was all good. I didn't notice it wasn't DL until like a week later, and I was pretty mad.

I am happy with the drive though, I'll get a Pioneer DL drive I think.

14. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

nero!!!! just like talegunner's cat ;)

15. mattthegamer463

Ok it seems my Pioneer wasn't working due to a firmware problem, so I updated from 1.06 to 1.21 and now its burning a DL disk right now! I guess I don't need a new DVD drive either because I have this one that can now do everything, so I'm set. Thanks for all the help guys, this was a very long road to come to the solutions I needed, but you guys helped me out all the way and now everything is good!