1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Am I pushing PSU to it's limit?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Thermal5, 18 Jul 2009.

1. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Hey all,

MY CPU is as follows,

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ
    4GB DDR2 800 MHZ Ram
    Palit 275 GTX 896 MB graphics card
    120 GB Sata (150 MB/s) Hard Drive
    300 GB Sata II (300 MB/s) Hard Drive
    1 TB Sata II (300 MB/s) Hard Drive
    1 Sata DVD Drive and 1 IDE DVD-Writer
    One 120 MM Fan at the front of the tower
    One 120 MM Fan at the back of the tower
    Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro on the CPU.

Now when playing Chronicles Of Riddick - Assault On Dark Athena, the graphics card temperature according to GPU-Z was 84 degrees Celsius which is 183.2 degrees Fahrenheit and the CPU temperature was 56 degrees Celsius which is 132.8 degrees Fahnrenheit, as you can see from the spec listed it's quite a decent high spec P.C and I have adequate cooling in it, but what with all the components do you think my PSU is having a hard time supplying power to everything and struggling to keep everything cool because I think 84 degrees celsius temperature for the GPU is pretty high!, I think the CPU temp is o.k though.

The PSU is a fairly decent one ThermalTake Toughpower 600 watts and it has more than enough power on the 12v rails for the graphics card but is it too little power for everything else in my case when combined with the graphics card?

Opinions please.

Thank you.

P.S) The P.C never crashes but I'm just a little concerned with the temperatures I'm getting, mainly on the graphics card!, the case by the way is a Coolermaster Elite 330 Black, the one here http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=30

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

3. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Add a side fan to the case, this often greatly improves airflow across the graphics card. The Elite 330, has a side duct, that I've read can be removed and replaced with a 80mm fan.

4. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

I will see about doing that, thanks, mad thing is the Elite 330 case does have a side duct but that had to come off before I even switched the P.C on for the 1st time, because I built it and with the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro on the CPU the side duct has to come out because there wasn't any room for it without it touching the CPU fan!

Thanks for the replies

5. Interloper

Interloper Faux Pro Modder

Another thought, but is often overlooked, is cable management. Is the inside of the case cluttered with cables? The more stuff in the way, the less air is getting to components. Zip-tie them together, and move them out of the way the best you can.

Also, are all the components clear of dust build-up? A simple fix there.

A computer with organized innards is a happy computer.