1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD 880G Chipset Detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

It's shame they still haven't updated IGP. AMD seems to be offering entire HTPC market to intel right now. And it's really stupid from AMD to "give up" so easily especially as intel's GMA is hardly capable of rendering DX10 features...

3. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

AMD is still playing second fiddle to Intel's excellent GMA-HD video performance and features. <- huh, even HD 3200 is by far way better than anything intel has released including GMA HD

880G is DX10.1
    GMA HD is DX10 only

880G has superior game support (aka its based on a radeon core, that uses the catalyst driver)
    880G is just a tweaked refreshed 785G with a SB850 southbridge, much like 890GX but without crossfire

btw
    we know that fusion is comming and why waste R&D when you can put a DX11 core into a CPU instead of a NB?

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

aw crap an other rehash! any one for ION2 same as ION1 without the extras and we where promised ION 2 would have 32 streams. It seams AMD is copying Nvidia's mistakes. While Intel is still selling crap IGP to everyone and no one seems to care. Wait no we all care but Intel is using its monopoly to force its IPG on the consumer. First with its "secial offers to OEMS" and now with integrating the IPG in the CPU casing (and its even on a separate and bigger die.....FAIL)

BTW: Has any one els noticed the virgin broadband advert small print:

(Rollover for Legal stuff)

I think that is the most honest ISP advert in history :D

5. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

I don't think you can say onboard graphics supports DX10.1 over DX10 is going to make any diff. Especially since even DX9 games will struggle to perform well on the GPU.

Intel's GMA is extremely good when it comes to lower power consumption with great video performance. Quite frankly I haven't seen any convincing benchmarks where the latest GMA wouldn't play a game that the onboard Radeon could. Sure you may gain 5-10fps, but when you're under 30fps it's all very moot.

I wouldn't be excited about DX11 being integrated into the CPU either. The Radeon 5870 is only just fast enough to run DX11 games in a way where the DX11 features actually noticeably improve the graphical quality. With an integrated GPU, the detail will be backed off so far that the game will look like it's DX9.

I think Bit-Tech are bang-on with this article. AMD have done absolutely nothing with their chipsets - there really is nothing new here. SATA 3 will only benefit SSDs (nice to have, but should be included anyway), a few extra USB ports, and ummm that's it. The northbridge looks identical, and the southbridge doesn't even support USB3. It's an extremely poor show, and especially badly timed now that Intel are starting to actually release IGPs with good performance.

6. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

On the upside it does bring Raid 5 to budget boards, which is at least a small step in the right direction and perhaps AMD hasn't got it all entirely wrong.

We as consumers would like to see bigger improvements in new products over old, but manufacturers like to give us only a small improvement. Some of can't wait or don't want to wait for the ideal upgrade so we buy into it and then they release the next small upgrade and we buy in to that, so as inefficient as it sounds, AMD is only following Nvidia and Intel's examples and making us pay again and again for these small advancements.

Hence why my PC is 2 years old and the motherboard is using the fastest dual core cpu and maximum amount of ram worth using under XP. As much as I'd love to be upgrading to Windows 7 and building with some fantastically fast new hardware, the features are still lacking in a lot of components but I have the time and patience to wait until the right thing comes along.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

VIDEO features and performance. Not gaming.

Intel offers full Dolby and DTS HD audio bitstream support, picture in picture, HDMI 1.3a etc at a lower power use. AMD hasn't updated the UVD in its core, despite updating the model number, meaning it's still behind Intel for HTPC solutions.

MSHunter - you were never *promised* 32 stream processors for Ion2 from Nvidia, it was only alluded to in rumour.

As Boogle said, we're concerned with the rebranding of what is essentially exactly the same physical product as the 785G.

8. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

And yet you weren't so vocal when nVidia rebranded 8800gt to 9800gt to GTS240 to GT340, milking ignorants. Maybe because of the big nVidia (and its partners) vertical banners on the right? Oh well.

Haha, wait, wat? Did i miss something? I don't see how a new IGP that can't outperform a 4 year old weakest and cheapest GPU can be called good in any way (besides being cheap - but so are the old GPUs).

Anyway, using IGPs for HDTV is a poor decision, as such systems tend to be slow - even with Intel's good hardware acceleration changing between scenes and rewinding is extremely choppy. Why not just slap a good dualcore and a half-decent GPU inside, overclock a bit, get silent AC or LC and be happy with a pleasant to use system instead of budget crap. And if you can't handle those few dollars in electric bill, I suggest going to goodwill instead of playing with computers.

9. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Actually I was talking more video, with only a little light gaming as a bonus. But yes - you did miss something. Assuming the ATI GPU is adequate, then Intel have matched and overtaken (in some games) this 'new' chipset ATI have brought out: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/01/25/intel-gma-hd-graphics-performance/4. In this regard, ATI are falling behind in something they were traditionally well ahead in.

10. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Mmm.. Wake me up when Nvidia release something to rival the Core 2 + 9400M IGP boards. And nobody says it needs to be attached to an Intel socket, either.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It won't happen. Nvidia has dropped chipset development.

And TheUn4seen:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/search?q=rebrand

On many occasions mate, if you cared to look. Our search function isn't even that good, I'm sure we've commented within other articles that haven't been specifically tagged.

12. dec

dec [blank space]

im excited for the southbridge which will hopefully mean better OCing of phenom ii's. Speaking of which, isnt there going to be a new stepping of the 720 and 550 BE's?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Addendum added about dual digital outputs.

14. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

AmD is just offering up some tidbits here and there until FuSIOn comes out.

I have a 790gp GIG mobo w/ a HD 3300 and I can run Crysis on it with some bells n whistles at 1680 x 1050. I was very impressed with it while saving for my GPU's.

If the 880 w/ it's 4250 at 10.1 can out perform the HD 3300 at 10 then it's a very good chipset.

I don't See Amd going all out until FuSIOn when I hope they over haul their chipset set up and give Intel a real run for their high price money as far as competitive performance

Tags: Add Tags