1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Bulldozer and Llano launch dates reportedly leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

I think Bulldozer is different to this year's Fusion APUs, Bulldozer is a totally new architecture while the Fusion's CPU is based on the Phenom 2 (with a GPU on the same die though). Though Next year's Fusion APU will.

3. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Should be in time for my upcoming new system build :)

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

ooooohhhh......

6 Core bulldozer sounds just right for Battlefield 3 and beyond.

5. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I hope some partners release an AM3 + ITX board

Im in love with my current AM3 ITX rig : ) *Swoon*

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Maybe, but can they compete with 2011 which'll be hot on their heels?

7. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Meh, I like my Sandybridge just fine :)

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Looking to compete with LGA1366? What? Surely they should be looking to compete with LGA1155 or LGA2011? Looking to compete with a platform that's death has been announced seems strange to me.

9. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

The problem is that they can't compete with what Intel has release yet. Mostly because it hasn't been release yet (2011) :D.

Okay really its because, sadly AMD can't compete on the same level. They can do dollars per Gigflop, but that is about it. Now Bulldozer might change this and push them to be able to compete in overall performance (still not gigflop per core, but the core count is likely to be higher), but I am not that hopeful.

I think one of the biggest issues is that with process shrinks, die costs go down. So it makes it harder for AMD to compete on price as well. A processor that is 90% as fast at 75% of the cost might be a bargain when you are trying to win a sale against a $300 processor...90% as fast at 75% of the cost at $200 is much less of a bargain not just in dollar terms, but % of system budget.

I fondly remember the day that AMD was better than Intel. Sigh. Oh well, maybe it'll happen again some day. Hopefully it is because AMD releases a winning architecture, not that Intel goofed and architecture or got complacent.

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

2011 (3 years after the release of 1366) to compete with 1366... These are dark days :(

11. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Of course we will have to wait for benchmarks but I think bulldozer and sandybridge are going to be very close in performance.

I was thinking that may give AMD the advantage as their socket/platforms generally have greater longevity but I'm not sure this time around.

This year bulldozer is gong to be cpu only but next year it will be apu.....so I don't see this years socket having much longevity as I doubt the two will be compatible.

On the contrary I would imagine that sandy bridge will have socket compatibility with next years ivybridge as it is just die shrink.

I'd like to support AMD but think the first bulldozer platforms upgrade options are sadley going to be limited.

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Bulldozer out before Llano eh? I might have to hold off on a Sandy Bridge upgrade for a few months to see what the performance is like.

Bonus paid at the end of March, hmm, can i resist spending on something else in the meantime...

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

My bonus gets paid the end of this month as well as I am trying to find reason's not to upgrade to a sandy bridge cpu, from my current I7 950 @ 4.2ghz but I can't find any reason not to as they are allot better for video work etc.

I have the same problem with graphic's as well as I have a GTX 480 and I am thinking of a GTX 580 sli setup but, with the GTX 590 around the corner I am again stuck.

I do hope AMD finally have a cpu that can compete with Intel on performance rather than just price, currently they can't and means I am stuck on Intel.

I remember the days of AMD being king long time ago though.

14. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Yip bit late to the party once again...

AMD CEO - "Great we can now complete with the intel 1366s, we will dominate the market and take back market share":naughty:

AMD Development team - "umm boss you do know that intel have released a next gen chip something called sandybridge?":blah:

AMD CEO- "Damn":jawdrop:

I too await the reviews but i wont hold my breath on these new chips vs sandybridge...

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Looks like in 2012 I'll buy that CPU called 'piledriver' and put it in my GF's rig. :)

How could I not?

16. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Apologies for digging up an old thread. I cannot find the latest.

I thought I'd share my findings. Apparently AMD are to launch their server side CPU's next month but the FX Range won't be until a month or 2 later.

This is a bummer... I was hoping to upgrade next month :(

18. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

There is SOO MUCH fluff around bulldozer performance and the launch dates, ...I prefer to just wait till September, when it should launch, and then think about the rumours.

Really the waters are just soo muddy around this chip, feel it's best to just not look at any more tit-bits until nearer the time it's due to arrive.

Tags: Add Tags